The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to get an aquaclear 70 for my 20 long, well it has so much flow that it is blowing up against the front glass, the flow is staying towards the top but this is way way to much flow, how should I diffuse the flow?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya but my lighting would either get water on it or be way up front in the tank.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ive seen people use a plastic bottle cut to make a little scoop so the water is defuse and sends some to either side.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I fixed the problem, if I pull the intake up a little it reduces the flow.

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,543 Posts
Pull the plastic piece out from on top of the impeller. You will see it has a semi-circle ridge that allows flow adjustment. The more centered the intake is over the impeller, the stronger the flow. The more it's off to the right, the slower the flow. Get a file or a dremel and cut down the ridge to allow the input tube to move further to the right.

A sponge pre-filter will also cut down flow and the flow will gradually decrease as the filter runs. Plastic bottle diffuser is also a nice trick.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I always run my AC filters full blast, but just deflect the outflow by using a plastic bottle to make a baffle (you can find diys by googling "bottle filter baffle"). It's a pretty popular way to reduce the currents in betta tank, which is how I first found out about it. You can shove an AC sponge in the scoop part of the baffle to slow it even more. The largest filter I've done this on was an AC50, but I imagine it'd work on the bigger filters too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm actually having the same problem.its even worse tho because the flow is so strong is only keeping one side of the tank clean. The side that's not directly under the filter is just cover with debris.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts