The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, love this site!!

I have a 5 gallon flat back hex aquarium that I am planning a planted set-up in and have a question about the lights.
I plan on using the 2 bulb incandescent hood but am going to use 2 10 watt screw in CF instead of the stock lamps. This would give me approx. 4 watts per gallon which I assume in a small tank is considered low-medium light correct?
Also the tank comes with a clear fitted plastic hood. Is it OK to leave the plastic hood on or should I just set the lights on top without the hood? I was wondering how much light "loss" there will be from the light having to go through the clear plastic.

BTW, I am planning on Java Fern, Anubia Petite, and maybe some Java Moss with a HOB filter a heater and some neons and a snail. Not sure about ferts yet.......still researching that one. ;)

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
hmm hex tanks are hard to light. Maybe you can get an ahsupply 2 x 13 watt kit ? The stock hood reflectors you have suck so you would possibly get half the wattage . there are lots of guests viewing the forum so don't be alarmed when theres 12 views and no replies. how tall/wide is the tank ? Also you could probaly build a hood for the light and ditch the plastic since it will melt with the lights on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.