The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, my plants (anubia, amazon swords) are great with natural sunlight and doing fine, but ground cover is not doing well. I had tried "Hemianthus callitrichoides" just die. Anything I need to take note for lush ground cover?

Before[IMG_0025.jpg]

After[2015914201750.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Each plant won't always love each tank.

Ok, so that plant melted in that tank. Try another or let one plant carpet the whole tank for continuity.

Since you are growing plants in rocks, maybe the roots are not getting fed as much as in soil. Its hydroponics.

The roots feed off the dirt, the plant feeds off of the water column.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi webskipper, Thanks for the comment. Is it always necessary to put CO2 for lush ground cover?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, all plants benefit.

CO2 is one of the cheapest sources of carbon.

The other plants look good. Concentrate on them.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I think you will find that most, but not all carpet plant tanks use dirt subs.
Also most, but not all have lots of open space at the top for light to be able to reach
the carpet. Something like this picture.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pGallery.php?do=view&rdo=homepage&id=11162&cat=0&order=None&page=7
You might look through the gallery to see others like it. Not so much the second of your pictures but mostly the first one appears to have little open space at the top.
Seems I see floaters towards the left side and not much room between the tops of the tall plants and the front glass for the rest of it.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I ended up with one without trying. Trumpet snails eat the algae which forms on it at times. They do not always stop at the bottom of the algae. So the many tiny pieces that ended up on the bottom turned into a carpet. Need to keep it cut not higher than 2" or
a hollow will develop under it as the bottom dies for lack of light.
http://www.naturalaquariums.com/plants/hmicranthemoides.html
This you can cut any height you want to but it has poor roots. Very easy to pull it up when trimming.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=14281&pictureid=47153
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=14281&pictureid=62554
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=14281&pictureid=63610
Both of these are starting to grow fairly well, but slow. DHG(native/collected) and Marcelia Minuto. Tank has fine gravel sub mixed/w Fluorite. Excel x 2 and EI level ferts once a week and 45-50 PAR T5HO. No dirt or injected CO2. But I do not vacuum this tank gravel.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/pGallery/pg_12001e.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had noticed that all my duck weeds had also perished. Wonder is my water too clear...nothing to sustain so much plant. I had many land plants at the back sucking up all the nitrate.

Bump: Sometimes I am a bit overboard lol

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
You probably right on that one. For a while I didn't fert that tank/w the baby tears in it.
The duckweed grew very small at that time.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Tank Ground Cover

Hello dark...

Simple answer. Go with Anubias nana, a short and wider species of Anubias. Attach the plant clumps to pieces of lava rock with very thin sewing thread and tie off the thread securely, so it won't come loose and create a hazard for your bottom fish. The plant is slow growing, but does well in very low light. A very hardy plant. Just use several plants for a well planted tank bottom.

B

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi BBradbury, Thanks will look for Anubias nana. Someone from another forum suggested dwarf sagittaria carpet for my situation, is that also a easy starter?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Carpet plants are where I am having issues too. Nothing seems small enough. Even the anubias nana seems more like a good foreground plant, but not exactly carpet. Maybe I just have to wait for it to grow in more. It is hardy and has some new leaves pretty fast. But I don't think it is very fast growing in low tech as mentioned above.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Carpet plants are where I am having issues too. Nothing seems small enough. Even the anubias nana seems more like a good foreground plant, but not exactly carpet. Maybe I just have to wait for it to grow in more. It is hardy and has some new leaves pretty fast. But I don't think it is very fast growing in low tech as mentioned above.
Yes, will go to look for anubias nana. I wish to plant them bushes between rocks :fish1:. Then carpet the rest of the gravel with something else. Java sounds like easy starter.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just make sure you don't bury the rhizome. You can attach them to something, but they do fine in substrate too. They would look great between rocks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Okay, I have to recommend dwarf sag for ground cover. Just when I was saying I was having issues getting that right, I was pruning my water sprite to fill in more areas when I saw 4 little dwarf sag plants. I seem to remember one poor looking specimen in with the group of plants that I kind of stuck in. I pull it up and see that they are all 4 attached. These were hidden from full light by the wisteria and still managed to propagate nicely. I am now a firm believer in using this plant as it looks great as a ground cover. It was just what I was looking for and seems pretty easy to care for. Now I just have to decide if I should wait for more to pop up or get some. I'll wait for now.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I had a 55 set up with only dwaft sag in a med - high light tank- cory's love it.

Regards,
Aquaticz

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aquaticz.and Maverick2015... That sounds really cool. I'll love to try dwarf sag...seems like I need find low light specimen. And Java

Cheers!

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts