The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 29 gallon Aqueon. I was surprised after filling it the first time that I could see a rim of light under the bottom trim. I can actually slide a piece of paper under the center of it and run it all the way to the corners. So it seems the tank is just resting on it's corners. The surface is a flat table.

Should I worry about that? I'd have expected it to lie totally flat and distribute the weight entirely.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
...I cant slide anything under any of mine... Maybe look into getting a leveling mat? I'll be honest, I've used Styrofoam and towels for leveling my tanks before. Is the table level? There's always a possibility of manufacturer defect as well. But no, you shouldn't be able to slide a piece of paper under your tank.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Sounds like the top of the table is sagging. The tank does not need to be supported in the middle but there may be other issues. Is the tank fully and equally supported on all four level corners? It might be tough to tell. If the table top isn't flat is it stable? What kind of table is it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that might be it too. It's a computer desk, but on the recomendation of some people here I put columns of cinderblocks under it at either end (each centered on the edge of the tank). These are bearing most of the load I think. The desk itself is pretty sturdy too, so I don't think it's sagging, but maybe?

I thought that might be it too. It's a computer desk, but on the recomendation of some people here I put columns of cinderblocks under it at either end (each centered on the edge of the tank). These are bearing most of the load I think. The desk itself is pretty sturdy too, so I don't think it's sagging, but maybe?
And to add to that, the gap was there before the blocks went up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Do not place anything under the aquarium like a leveling mat. Aqueon tanks are meant to only rest on their edges. The bottom glass does not touch the ground at all. But yes do put it on some thing level and sturdy. Not being level can spring leaks later on or breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Excuse me. Now in English.
Any support, before a significant weight, such as an aquarium, will tend to flex in its middle area. To avoid this, it must be built very solidly. The danger of breaking the glass is present. Putting on a flexible base or cork helps, but does not solve the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are going to disassemble the aquarium, take advantage and put a metal structure, below or above your appreciated table, so that it does not flex. Wood, no matter how thick it may be, will tend to flex in the center.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If the table is primarily made out of particle board I would just get rid of it. If it is plywood it should be sturdier than particle board.

When the tank is completely empty does it rock across oposite corners at all (BAD!)? Does the gap under the tank get bigger as the tank fills with water and substrate, etc (BAD!)?

A picture would probably help.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I can slide paper underneath my 75g on a metal stand. The tank is essentially bridging between two ends. Even a made for tank wood stand is supporting the tank only on the rim. My set up has been around for 20 years, with no leak or instability damage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.