The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to reminiscing about how badly I miss not having a single strain planted discus tank anymore.

Had one about 2 years ago, which housed a group of young juvie Red SnakeSkins - about 2.75" at the time - which eventually developed real good coloration as adults.

I eventually sold 5 of them over time, and lost one, but still have 2 adults left in my tank as it is today, with other colors/strains of discus intermixed.

But I swear I'm going to do it again someday, with either solid color Blues, Reds, or Yellows, especially if I can find some high-bodied ones !

Here's the tank of young RSS's of 2 years ago for you to have a peek at:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/3RedSnakeSkins

·
Registered
521 Posts
That is super inspiring. I want to set up a tank like that someday. I hope you set one back up ASAP. :smile:

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
One strain has always has looked better to me for some reason. If I ever did a discus tank it would probably be all one strain of some kind of snakesin. Snakeskin just sounds cool

·
Registered
49 Posts
With all the colors available a multi-strain tank can look like a bubble gum machine. If you are going for the natural look nothing beats all one color, especially the more subtle natural colors.

What size is the tank?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With all the colors available a multi-strain tank can look like a bubble gum machine. If you are going for the natural look nothing beats all one color, especially the more subtle natural colors.

What size is the tank?

I currently have a multi-strain tank, and you're right, it does kinda look like a bubble gum machine - lol

In future though, I'm quite sure I will go back to a single strain, or at most, just a 2-strain contrast - solid colors - as in Powder Blues and Yellows, or Reds & Powder Blues.

My tank is a Fluval Osaka 260 - just over 70 gallons.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Your photos are beautiful - I wish I had the discipline to keep Discus, but I know I don't. My great contribution to the aquarium world is that I don't subject them to living with me - lol.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The discus look great with the white sand. CO2 or low tech?
Strictly low-tech.
I like keep to things simple for discus raising/keeping. It's safer.
It can be difficult to avoid significant pH swings when using pressurized CO2- which are a discus no-no, so I stay away from a hi-tech planted environment for discus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.