The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

So I recently tore down my reef tank to start a planted project. There is such an abundance of info out there it can be very intimidating especially coming from experienced and right back into noob lol. So the tank is a standard 4ft and I have been playing with some fake plants to "test the water" and see if I like the look and turns out I do :)

Now the work begins since I have decided to go with the Walstad method. Has anyone here done it and what should I be looking out for in the beginning? Coming from reef, I'm more excited about adding plants more than the fish. I plan to use organic top soil and cover it with the sand currently in the setup and that will be it for the substrate. The plants will be some cheapies from the LPS to start off with. I have a feeling I will have to drop all the filtration to avoid starving the plants or?

My set up is as follows,

Standard 4 ft tank with overflowbox. In the overflowbox I have put layers of course and fine sponge topped off with filter wool. From the box the water flows down to another tank which will soon be filled with K1 to act as a fluidized filter. From there it flows into the sump through a filter sock, then ceramic rings and back into the tank. I'm running 4 T5 VHO lights which cover a full spectrum of light at roughly 320 watts total. The flow rate is roughly 20 times the tank volume per hour. The water is absolutely crystal clear but I think the filtration might be overkill and detrimental to plant life?

Look forward to your replies!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The Walstad method includes using low light and low tech filtering. If you use that light and the filtration method you describe, you will not be using the Walstad method. You need to decide whether you really want to follow her directions that go with her method, or use a different method, which may not then be a low maintenance method.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Couple things:

You probably have too much light - you definitely have too much light if you're not planning on injecting CO2.
You probably don't want to use a fluidized bed filter if you are going to inject CO2. They work great for fresh water in general, but all the turbulence of the fluidized bed will off-gas CO2 like crazy.
20x water turnover is way too much for a planted tank. 5x - 10x is the target. So I'd say yes, way too much filtration. Sumps do work very well, but should be configured to minimized splashing and turbulence to minimize off-gassing of CO2. Too much filtration isn't necessarily detrimental to plants - if you just used bio media and sponges it won't remove nutrients that plants need - but too much flow can be detrimental to plants. How detrimental depends on the plant.

-Justin

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Couple things:

You probably have too much light - you definitely have too much light if you're not planning on injecting CO2.
You probably don't want to use a fluidized bed filter if you are going to inject CO2. They work great for fresh water in general, but all the turbulence of the fluidized bed will off-gas CO2 like crazy.
20x water turnover is way too much for a planted tank. 5x - 10x is the target. So I'd say yes, way too much filtration. Sumps do work very well, but should be configured to minimized splashing and turbulence to minimize off-gassing of CO2. Too much filtration isn't necessarily detrimental to plants - if you just used bio media and sponges it won't remove nutrients that plants need - but too much flow can be detrimental to plants. How detrimental depends on the plant.

-Justin
The Walstad method does not include using CO2. It depends on the substrate to supply enough CO2. Again, people who want to use the Walstad method should do so, but if you say you are using it, but with high light, CO2, etc. and have a bad experience, then report that you are not satisfied with the Walstad method, you are doing a disservice to all of us. I'm not being critical, just pointing out that the Walstad method is a complete set of conditions, not just a menu for picking and choosing what parts to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts