The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I have a 29 gallon tank with a Raphael, silver tip, and red tailed shark, and 6 barbs over 5 species. So far everything has been going great with the tank, and my question is if I continue with barbs that don't get overly big, how many max can I plan on putting in the tank? I don't plan to add any other fish other than the new barbs.

Thanks!

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
You may want to rethink your stocking. If I am not mistaken red tailed catfish get HUGE, way too big for a 29g. And silver tips also get very big. And what types of barbs? You would want all one species of barb. I'm sorry, but you will probably have to rehome most of these fish and start fresh because you are setting yourself up for trouble.

Welcome to the TPT though!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crap, meant to say sharks, not catfish (even though they are all actually catfish). I thought the red-tail would get to by 4 inches (6 at most) and still be okay for the tank. I've only had him for several weeks but he's been doing great. The other two have been in the tank for years and each have their own section of my main decoration and even though they keep getting larger they always have seemed to do really well. I hope at the end of the year to use them to help start a new larger tank (probably 75-100 gal).

As for the Barbs, I have 2 tigers, 1 green tiger, 1 electric glo tiger, 1 panda and 1 gold. They all school together (except the glo who is brand new) and have always seemed to not cause any issues for each other. My end goal with this tank is to have a barb tank showing off some of the favorite species I've seen. I hope it's not unrealistic, but so far every new barb has gotten along with those there.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize they get really big, but I do plan on having him out of the tank within the year, and if his rate of growth continues as it has been that will mean he'll be about 4" when that happens. Is he still an issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.