The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sneak preview of my as yet unfinished and unnamed 12x10x8 optiwhite. After butchering the silicon myself resealing it. (it arrived leaking) I'm back in business after acquiring a eheim 2213 and more importantly a home. (I was homeless for two months).

Apparently the only non hideously blurred shot, feel free to rip it apart suggest plants changes etc. It's what I want :)

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Those are aawweeessome dimensions. Are you going to do a sand foreground?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am, I'm just not putting it in yet till I'm fully happy and I've put in measures to keep the sand separate. I've got some pale silica sand just for the job so I'll be using that and some patches of graded gravel which is very in vogue on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hardscape looks great so far! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Having trouble envisioning the front sand / graded gravel you mention so I think I'll just have to wait for new pictures.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't be adding sand for a short while, I have to wait for a contact to come through with some plants. I might go for a different scape yet but this is what I'm thinking so far. I'll try and get some sand in there when I've enough time to get some barriers in.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Graded gravel sounds intresting. UK and European aquascapes definately have their own subtle style that's nice to see.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah here's a good example of the graded gravel look I'll be going for. I really like it when it's done well it really gives a good variation in textures.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Ah yeah, I love the gravel effect, the tank looks so barren though. I hope you're planning for more plants than that :hihi:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha, yeah I do plan more plants. I like the texture it affords mostly. I really want to give UG another go but I've never had much luck with it, never known why. I'd also like to try some of the more unusual plants that are filtering onto the market over here, mosses, ferns and crypts being hot spots for new species.

I'm hoping to get some gobys for this tank, the foot print being ideal. I need to speak to Ugly genius about his dry start too, I'm in need of tips on getting it going if you're reading this.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
I would offer to ship you some UG, but I'm kind of in the wrong country :S

personally I think the key to UG is to get a healthy batch to begin with, if you start with a healthy plant you have more leeway with emersed or submersed growth.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's okay, I'll see what I can do. I think you might be right, I seem to remember my batch looking particularly anaemic when I got it. Thanks DDTran, I didn't like step brothers anywhere near as much as I thought I would, it got over hyped and it didn't meet expectations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts