The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Friday evening, October 9, 2009, My buddy, my best friend was put to sleep. I am so sad and miss him so much and it feels like I am in a bad dream and all I need to do is wake up.

Magnum is a Golden Retriever who we rescued from the dog pound in 2000. The vet thought he was around 2 years old at the time. He has been a wonderful dog and brought so much joy to my everyday life. When I was down or had a bad day, he cheered me up. He saw me to the door when I left for work and greeted me when I came home for lunch and after work. He laid beside me on the floor when I worked on the computer at home and was beside me on the couch when I watched TV. We think he had a tumor that over the last several weeks has been bleeding slowly as he got weaker and weaker, then started to not eat and got to the point where he just could barely stay on his feet very long. This thread is a tribute to him.

Magnum
1998-2009
Love you Bud!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow, he's gorgeous!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Time heals all things, you should try to keep busy with other projects.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I feel you, man. I had a Dalmatian for 13 years that had to be put down a while back. The worst part was that we were on vacation at the time and I wasn't able to say goodbye to him. But like Devin said, time heals all wounds.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Oh I am so sorry for your loss it is so difficult to lose a beloved pet. But Magnum had a nice long life and I am happy that you were both able to enjoy each other's company.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Oh man I'm so sorry for your loss.

I just got back from visiting with my family, and leaving my beagle bud is difficult every time, especially now that he's getting on in years as well, I can't imagine losing him.

Be glad that you were able to enjoy the time with him and give him a happy life, and treasure those memories.

·
GEEK
664 Posts
Deepest condolences. I can relate to your loss. I too had to put down my 10 year old dog about two weeks ago for medical reasons. I had her since she was 10 weeks old. Magnum's a beautiful dog. Sounds like he had a great life.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the kind words. Magnum did have a great life and brought so much life to me.
We just happened to be looking at the paper on a Sunday back in 2000 and my wife said "Look, the dog shelter has a golden retriever and it says Now." So we decided to go and look at it thinking it would be a mutt and here is this beautiful golden staring up at me. I asked to get in the pen with him and the guy said "Well, he is kind of hyper and not sure how he is going to behave." I told him it would be fine, and Magnum took to me right away and I knew he was going home with us. Come to find out that he was scheduled to be put down the next day. All along I thought we rescued him but I really think Magnum rescued me everyday.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Man I can't imagine the day I lose my dog. I'm sorry for your loss, I hope you cherish all the memories you've had with him. And thanks for sharing!! He looks great in that pic.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I feel for you and know exactly how you feel. It's a sick, dull feeling, but it'll get better. You'll think back to the funny things he used to do and it'll still make you smile years from now. They really do make your life better, even if they're not there anymore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My wife and I have two Dachshunds that are both 3 and 4 years old. I can't image what we will do when one of them passes away. We are actually looking to get another Dachshund and just got a Cat.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm sorry for your dog. He look so happy on that picture. It must be very hard for you to lose your friend. I recently felt bad for the whole day when my Ram, who has been with me for over 2 years, died, so I can imagine how painful is to lose a dog who's been with you for over a decade. RIP

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I've always been very attached to my pets and the loss of one is always a very painful time. I do hope that I may see them again and without getting into anything theological I find some comfort in this poem written by theologian John Piper, whom I'm very much respect and I hope it speaks to you also.

And as I knelt beside the brook
To drink eternal life, I took
A glance across the golden grass,
And saw my dog, old Blackie, fast
As she could come. She leaped the stream—
Almost—and what a happy gleam
Was in her eye. I knelt to drink
And knew that I was on the brink
Of endless joy. And everywhere
I turned I saw a wonder there.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Jeff for the beautiful poem. :icon_cry: I only hope that for now, when I go to bed at night I would find myself in that place with him.

Colt....Thx...He was a very handsome golden and will be hard to find another so handsome.

Thank you all again for the heart felt comments. It brings a ray of sunshine to warm my days.

Here is a message I wrote on my facebook page the day I had to put magnum to sleep. Please give this some thought and may it touch your life as Magnum has touched mine...

--If you want to see the love, faithfullness, forgiven and gentle spirit of God, get a Golden Retriever. God spelled backwards is Dog and I think he has displayed a small portion of his nature in these wonderful animals so we can't say "How can you believe in something you can't see or touch?"--
Mark Briegel to my wonderful buddy Magnum

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm so sorry for you loss, dew.
I have two Golden Retrievers, Franny and Zooey. Zoo's getting up there in age, he's going to be twelve in a couple of months. One day, I, too, will have to say goodbye and it breaks my heart even to think it.

Our dogs are our anchors and when they're gone, we are cast adrift.

Eventually, however, we realize that the chain that anchored us never broke -- it just got a bit more slack for a moment.

When the pain starts to fade, we're reminded of the love we felt for our little guys and this reels us back inland. From the vantage of the shore, we see that their lives with us were a gift and a lesson. We see that we can be loved unconditionally and we can love something back even more.

This life is not about being born and dying. It's about the bonds we create between those two points.

The bond you had with Magnum is one of those bonds.

I think, this is why we live.

My heart goes out to you, and I'm proud of you for loving him as much as you did.

·
Registered
567 Posts
How sad for you! He was a beautiful dog, what a loss. It sounds like he was one of those once in a lifetime animals that you can never replace. At least he got rescued from the shelter and had a wonderful life with you, and got to enjoy the time he had.

I lost my horse, my best friend for the last 10 years, this August. She was acting a little off for a few days, and we didn't worry too much until she stopped eating and drinking. The vet told us she had a twisted gut and wanted us to take her in to Las Vegas for surgery, but we could not afford it. We took her home and she was worse the next day, so I decided it was time to put her down. I was walking her to the trailer to take her in to the animal hospital and she just dropped dead in our driveway. It was her tenth birthday. It was heartbreaking, especially knowing that the only reason she didn't survive was because we didn't have the money to get her the help she needed. I still look out at her empty stall and almost cry. When I go out to feed the goats in the morning sometimes I think I still hear her neighing for breakfast.

I know you will never find another dog like him, just like I will never find another horse like my Spirit. But I hope in time you are able to get another one.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I thought you were talking about a magnum filter.. i was expecting to get a laugh out of this thread LOL.

Sorry about your loss. :( Losing a pet is always hard. Best wishes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts