The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really like finding these when trying to decide what bulbs to buy. They seem to be few and far between for FW bulbs. So here's a few pics hopefully demonstrating some differences between brands and K ratings. The following bulbs are just what I have on hand. The FTS at the end are not altered in any way, saturation, temp, etc.

Light is a 48" quad T5HO hydroponic fixture, with good-to-great reflectors.

Now for some bulb compares, top to bottom:

1. Plamtmax 3000K "red" bulb (hydroponic bulb that came with the light)
2. TruLumen Flora
3. ZooMed Ultra Sun (6700K)
4. Plantmax 6500K (hydropinic bulb that came with the light)

1. ZooMed Ultra Sun (6700K)
2. TruLumen Flora
3. ZooMed Flora Sun (5000K)
4. Plantmax 6500K

1. CoraLife 10000K
2. Trulumen Flora
3. Coralife Colormax
4. Plantmax 6500K

FTS w/ZM Ultra Sun, TL Flora, ZM Flora Sun, and 6500K

(disregard my scape, tank is sorta in grow out mode :red_mouth )

Here is the combo Ive been using for a couple of weeks.

ZM Ultra Sun
3000K red
TL Flora

Honestly not sure about this 3000K red, just trying it for a while to see if there's any noticeable difference in plant response.

If anyone wants to see a specific combo over the tank, just let me know.

Id love to see others post pictures of their bulbs and tanks. I think it would be a great point of reference for everyone. :)

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful tank. How long are you running your lights?
Thank you :) Currently the fixture is 6" above the surface, ~24" above the substrate. I started out with 6 hours/day, bumped it to 7 a couple weeks ago. Sorta taking it slow, Ive had the light probably a month and a half. I would like to eventually do an 8 hour photo period, even if it means raising it a bit more.

Thank you. I have a Flora Sun, but that TrueLumen Flora looks nice. Less pinkish color.
Yeah I really like that bulb. It's actually rated 6700K, but as you can see it's pretty red. Not sure how that works exactly. I had a 2 bulb fixture before this one and the TL Flora was always a staple along with whatever else. Really nice color rendition.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thank you :) Currently the fixture is 6" above the surface, ~24" above the substrate. I started out with 6 hours/day, bumped it to 7 a couple weeks ago. Sorta taking it slow, Ive had the light probably a month and a half. I would like to eventually do an 8 hour photo period, even if it means raising it a bit more.

Yeah I really like that bulb. It's actually rated 6700K, but as you can see it's pretty red. Not sure how that works exactly. I had a 2 bulb fixture before this one and the TL Flora was always a staple along with whatever else. Really nice color rendition.
I'll have to give that bulb a shot! I have a 2 bulb fixture now too and I run a Fluval/Hagen life-glo and a FloraSun. The FloraSun is just a bit too pink and the life-glo doesn't completely cover that reddish hue it imparts on the tank.
Also, you should try out the Life-Glo bulbs by Fluval (previously Hagen). They have a nice color and good rendition IMO.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Not sure how that works exactly. I had a 2 bulb fixture before this one and the TL Flora was always a staple along with whatever else. Really nice color rendition.
Kelvin (K) rating is an average of the bulbs' spectrum. So if it has 50% blue (10kish) + 50% red(2Kish) for example, you will have a 6k bulb (10k + 2K / 2). So a 6k bulb can be white (equal amounts of RGB) or pink (blue + red) or anything in between depending on the spectrum used. In this sense, kelvin rating isn't very meaningful; averagely though, low K bulbs are warmer/more yellowish, and high K bulbs are whitish/bluish. Kelvin rating also has no information on color rendering index (i.e. a 5000k bulb with only red and blue spectrum may not show green/orange colors well. Similarly many 6500k daylight bulbs do not show reds well, so we add the pink bulbs to supplement red light that makes red plants pop more).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the comparison
i started running the same style fixture 2 weeks ago
the question i was wondering being this seems to be a much brighter fixture than what im used i far do you have it suspended from the substrate

I have a 75 with the fixture about 6 inches above the tank as im starting to get some algae growth on my anubias i have raised it before it gets out of hand

Thanks any info would be much appreciated

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great thread. There's lots of bulb comparisons out there for reefers, so its good to see some plant/daylight bulb mixtures.

Anyone out there tried using the Giesemann midday and flora bulbs? I'm curious how they stack up compared to the others, particularly the giesemann flora vs the trulumen.

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comparison
i started running the same style fixture 2 weeks ago
the question i was wondering being this seems to be a much brighter fixture than what im used i far do you have it suspended from the substrate

I have a 75 with the fixture about 6 inches above the tank as im starting to get some algae growth on my anubias i have raised it before it gets out of hand

Thanks any info would be much appreciated
Mine is also 6" above the surface, ~ 24" from the sub. I started with a 6 hour photo period, now doing 7, sorta taking it slow. It's pretty common for anubias to get algae on older leaves, because they grow so very slow. If it's just a little bit you're talking about, you may just have to deal with it. If it's a lot, or you're having other algae problems, then it may be too much light, or some other issue like a nutrient deficiency. Im just going to assume you're injecting CO2. Running this type of light within any reasonable distance definitely requires it.

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This addition is courtesy of flyinruf, who posted the Giesemann Flora and their new Tropica in this thread. Thanks for the pics!

Installed today, along with a trim.
Tank looks a little brighter, have to wait and see how things grow.
The aquaflora is not quite as pink as the zoomed.

1. Old setup: Fluval life-glo and Zoomed florasun
2. New setup: Giesemann tropic and super flora
3. Full tank shot. Had a huge trim, so it looks a little bare. Good test for the new lights!

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found these while reading through one of Tom Barr's old journals 120 Gal ADA...

Pics courtesy of zergling

(Top)
GE 6500K
ATI Aqua Blue Special
ATI Purple Plus
UVL AquaSun
(Bottom)

GE6500K up top, UVL Red Sun at the bottom.

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Got some new bulbs in today, two TrueLumen Floras and a Zoo-Med Flora Sun. Took some PAR readings using one of Hoppy's 2015 PAR meters. :red-mouth

This is all @ 25", Minimum 5 min warm up.

Old TureLumen Flora with about 18 months of use

New TrueLumen Flora

Surface shot with the two TL Floras, new one on the left, old one on the right (6500K in the middle)

New Zoo-med Flora Sun

Here is a Zoo-med Ultra Sun about a year and a half old

Wow!!

Coralife 10,000K with about 1 month of use :snicker:

Finally here's a brand new 6500K Plantmax

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know this is an older thread but this seemed like the appropriate thread. I know the red suns have been recommended as a great red spectrum bulb but they seem to be discontinued. I'm curious what the current favorite red bulb would be given that the red suns are not available?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know this is an older thread but this seemed like the appropriate thread. I know the red suns have been recommended as a great red spectrum bulb but they seem to be discontinued. I'm curious what the current favorite red bulb would be given that the red suns are not available?
It won't be quite a pure red, but a 3000k hydroponics bulb (spectralux/GE/etc) will get you close.

3000k spectralux on top, UVL red sun on bottom

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts