The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got admitted into this asylum recently and these two are my very first planted/iwagumi tanks. Been inspired by various journals on this site and others so I took the plunged.

This the original layout of tank #1 with Ohko stones, hereafter referred to as 60P-1

After some contemplation, I repositioned the left (your left) and the middle stone. Then I replaced the right stone with a different one and buried it to give the impression of a smaller stone than it really is.

Here is the layout of tank 2 with black river stones, hereafter referred to as 60P-2. I have since buried the stone on the right (your right) a little more. Again, to make it appear smaller and try to create three stones of different sizes.

At this point, I have not decided which of these two tanks will be changed over to a nature aquarium. I recently got some free clippings of Staurogyne repens and Fissiden Fontanus from Gookis (THANK YOU!) but since I don't have any AS powder yet, I planted them in a betta tank while I sort things out.

Also got some free Blyxa and Crypt Nurii Pahang plants from speedie408 (THANK YOU!) and will be using those in the nature aquarium.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome. My updates will vary since I like to study a layout and dwell on it before making any changes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the not so great pix. The surrounding marble counter is reflecting into the glass due to it being a light color.

·
Registered
370 Posts
do you have other tanks? If not your going to eventually want to do a wood scape of some kind. Maybe do 1 iwagumi and maybe 1 branch wood?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are two different 60P's and not just one laid out differently. :smile:Originally, I wanted the 90P or 120P to do the nature aquarium with the driftwood, rocks and all but at this point, I want to prove to myself that I create something beautiful before springing money for the big and pricier stuff. I can always give these tanks to my kids.

I do agree with the one iwagumi and one nature aquarium. Just not sure if I should keep the black river or the ohko yet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you have other tanks? If not your going to eventually want to do a wood scape of some kind. Maybe do 1 iwagumi and maybe 1 branch wood?
I actually have three cube garden tanks: two 60P's and one 60F. Originally I wanted to get a 90P or 120P but that was too much space and money for starting out. :smile: Wanted to first show that this is something I can do and do for the long term (time and money) before committing to something much larger.

The thinking is that I wanted to do something relatively low maintenance but highly stylized, read artistic but now I think it might be more fun in the long term to do one nature aquarium and one iwagumi. Just not sure which one I will convert to nature aquarium at this point.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Glad you put up your journal bro. Now you can simply ask more questions as they pop up. Nice start. If you're planning on using rocks only, I'd get some smaller stones to accent the bigger ones. That way it looks more natural from all perspectives.

Now to pick your plants!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you put up your journal bro. Now you can simply ask more questions as they pop up. Nice start. If you're planning on using rocks only, I'd get some smaller stones to accent the bigger ones. That way it looks more natural from all perspectives.

Now to pick your plants!
Thanks. Here goes. Your point on the rocks is well taken. I just need to get back to AFA. :biggrin:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're lucky you live close to AFA :drool:I agree about doing two different scapes though, I guarantee you'll get the itch to try something different with one of them within 6 months if they're both iwagumi lol
Funny you say that. Sometimes I wished I lived closer to NY so I can go hang out, fine dining, shop or visit some of the hi-end audio stores there on the East coast. Just can't have it all unless you own a private jet but of course, when you have such a thing at your disposal options open way way up.:hihi:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Funny you say that. Sometimes I wished I lived closer to NY so I can go hang out, fine dining, shop or visit some of the hi-end audio stores there on the East coast. Just can't have it all unless you own a private jet but of course, when you have such a thing at your disposal options open way way up.:hihi:
Haha of course. I actually live 30 minutes outside of NYC, but I've only been there about 5 times in my life. I'm just not into cities lol...don't have the patience :eek:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL. Hate the crowds too but will put up with it just to do one of those things I listed once in a while. Been to NY once to see US Open tennis. Funny that visitors to NY don't know that all the major or big name stores close down on the weekend. Not out here in the West.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Are these two tanks going right next to each other? Or separate spots in the house?

I think deconstructed tank scapes are cool. One continuous scape but in separate tanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They sit on counters that are at a 90 degrees and next to each other. 60P-2 is just sits slightly lower. Entering the room and exiting allows you to glimpse at each one as you transition about.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Latest update as of today.

Here is the first take after I decided to make the 60P-2 a nature aquarium instead of an iwagumi. This uses one the black river rock on the right side from the original setup and a driftwood I had around. It has a cleaner look but I did not like the branch pointing into the front left corner.

I went back to the initial setup where the branch pointed in the direction of the rear right corner. A better sense of flow.

Here I applied the rule of thirds and shifted the driftwood a bit more to the left side. This side of the driftwood also has more imperfections but it does have more character because of it. It is going to be a shame to hide all of these characters under some moss later on. When the tank is filled in and the wood darkens from the water, I suspect that some of this driftwood's character will be hidden away.

I have since shifted the rock to a more prominent position to better showoff its characteristics. It is a very nice rock after all. I am pretty happy with this new setup but may still tweak it a little bit more and will wait to try it out with the manzies that I will be buying from plantbrain. Who knows, I could very well also convert 60P-1 into a secondardy nature aquarium. I still have my third tank, a 60F, to think and plan out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
honestly...I'd lay that bad boy on it's side with the river rocks supporting it. plus i'd get more wood too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That was considered but finding a good complimentary wood is not going to be an easy task so I leaned towards a monolithic setup. I am always on the hunt for good wood and will continue. I will be buying some manzies from plantbrain and will try those pieces out. The search for a complimentary and smaller complimentary wood continues.

I did try laying it on its side but the shape of the wood did not work as well as doing an underwater banzai. The shape of what I consider the top branch and what constitutes the trunk currently were not in a upward angle. One end was points forward while the other backwards.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It would look better on its side but dont know for sure unless I see it. If you want the tree out of water look and just have the bottom part of the tree showing itskinda cool maybe just add a few more stones just my opinion

1 - 20 of 80 Posts