The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around a week ago, I was transferring an Amano shrimp from a tank upstairs to another one of my tanks downstairs. But I was about to go down the stairs, the shrimp climbed right out of the cup I had him in and fell out! The tank is right next to the stairs, but when the shrimp fell it barely missed the tank opening and instead bounced off of one of the light fixtures. That in itself was a fall of around 6.5 feet. Then it fell another 4 feet or so onto the floor.

"Great," I thought to myself. "Now I have a dead shrimp to clean up."

When I went to net it, imagine how shocked I was when it jumped several inches into the air! I proceeded to net it and quickly put it in my tank. It's still doing well currently. I guess it's a testament to how tough these little buggers can be!

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Yeah, they've jumped out on nights where I forget to put the cover on, and twice, I found an Amano on the floor in the morning, completely dried up. I put it in the tank anyway, just to see what would happen, and he perked right up and swam right away. His antennae were shrived until his next molt, when it got fixed. It must have been out of the tank for hours!

On a slightly more negative note, a few days ago when I was cleaning my room (a rare occurrence :)) I found this REALLY gross, dried up crumbly Amano. So that's what happened to it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts