The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to do a whole tank transfer really soon. I plan on using new substrate, and a new canister filter with the filter floss of the two old HOB's inside. Other than that, the plants have been in the old tank for a couple weeks-months so a lot of beneficial bacteria there.

I am starting this thread to get advice about possible curve balls regarding the process, or any specific order I may want to consider - for example should I remove the fish from the old tank before uprooting everything, or will that mean too long in a bucket. I don't have a second tank at the moment to hold the fish while this takes place, so rule that out of any tips.

Lets see where this thread goes...

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've been pondering the same thing for a few weeks now. i was gonna change the fish first..forget the bucket, just change the fish and the canister simultaneously and directly into the new tank! then take your time with the plants.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have done this a few times. All I did was lower the water level in the old tank, so netting the fish is easier, and remove all of the plants, to make it easier still. Then I kept a 5 gallon bucket of the removed water to put the removed fish in. Once the fish were in their new temporary quarters, crowded as it was, I finished tearing down the tank setup, and setting up the new tank, with substrate, etc. installed. Then I added an inch or so of water to the new tank - tap water. Re-planted the removed plants I wanted to keep in that tank, and filled it with warmed tap water. Added Prime to neutralize the chloramine, and introduced the fish to their new permanent home. Rarely did I ever see a bad result with the fish. I also always added a generous amount of mulm from the removed tank under the substrate for the new tank. And, I swapped over the canister filter without any washing of it.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Pull it out of your old filter (squeeze out the sponge/filter floss media) or vacuum it up from your substrate.

I'd keep as much media as you can.

You'll need to keep a close eye on your water parameters no matter what- I'd check them daily for the first week or so, and be ready for water changes in case of a mini-cycle. Just disturbing the bacteria can trigger them to go through a bit of a die-off and bloom cycle.

Plastic/rubbermaid bins from WalMart work great as temporary holding tanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I think I'll pick up a big plastic bin, just so I'm not restricted to the three 5 gallon buckets as temp homes.

I JUST got my XP3 (I love hearing that UPS truck pull up) and I want to start running it on the old tank even though it will only be a couple of days before the switch - I figure a few days is better than nothing. Like I said above, I plan to put the filter pads from the HOB filters inside the media baskets of the XP3. Also, it has the black sponge pads in the first two baskets and the bio-ring things in the top, should there be more than this in the baskets?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I keep my biomedia in the middle basket, personally, and filter floss, Purigen, and micron pads in the top basket.

But you can set it up however works for you- that's one of the great things about canisters. :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts