The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went into the LFS today because usually they run a '2 For' Tuesday on the 2nd Tuesday of each month (which is, buy one get the second free of plants and livestock). Missed it last month because apparently they get cleared out as soon as they open and whatever is left is cleared by the 4 pm rush but I got done in the lab around 3 pm today so I figured I'd give it a try.

Boy am I glad I went.

I didn't see anything particularly compelling (plants were cleaned out, they didn't have any shrimp or any pea puffers and my main tank isn't up so I wasn't looking at other fish) so I figured I'd just get some Wisteria and leave. Well as the guy grabs the Wisteria from one of the tanks I see a little orange shrimp...(thinking to self - oh, just a RCS or something...but wait, he's got little claws, and he's too big to be an RCS....:confused1:). At this point I'm freaking out because I've realized it's a CPO, but now I ask if he's got more since I'd like a few to start a little tank (+ capitalize on this outstanding deal). He thinks he only has one :( :(...but as we look through the other tanks we find not one, but THREE more and one almost certainly female!!

So my trip to the LFS which was supposed to be for browsing / plants, ends up with me bagging four CPOs for like $30! Now to setup a tank and hopefully not have them die in the cycle...

I'm thinking of keeping them in a 10G I have laying around with a heater and then getting a sponge filter tomorrow. I have a bottle of SafeStart (Biospira) so I'll throw that in. Do you guys think I should hurry and just move them to the bare bottom 10g, or wait and setup a 2.5G with plants and gravel et al? I know 2.5G is probably too small for 4 of them but I don't have gravel to fill the 10G... So 2.5G scaped w/ plants or bare bottom 10G as a temporary (but more like for few weeks / month rather than few days) home?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sweet deal!! I'd put them in the 2.5 for now, as long as there's hidey holes and they can stay out of each other's way until you get that 10 going...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah, just keep them in another tank thats cycled through while you set up another one. Great deal!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I should have clarified that neither tank is fully cycled and either would have to be put together from scratch. In any case the 2.5G had some cracks form as I filled it so I'll be taking it back to the shop tomorrow for replacement and will plant it out nice tomorrow. For tonight fish and crays will be roomies in the bare bottom 10G. I did add some Wisteria and some Sagittaria in pots for them to cling / hang out around. Hopefully the stressing isn't off the charts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lost one last night, very unfortunate. It was the largest one so I have to assume it was the stress of moving. The LFS was not helpful and offered me a half-refund, even though the other three are doing fine and my water parameters are fine so it's definitely an issue with their stock.

Aaaaanyway I did want to show you guys a pic of one of them. They're quite active and this little guy was actually staring at me when I was taking pics. He was sitting on the very top leaf of the wisteria, with his eyes actually out of the water, and he turned to look at me when I moved to the other side of the tank! Clever little guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
This guy doesn't have the shape of a shrimp. It looks more like those mini orange crayfish, but an albino strain perhaps. The body shape and claws are all wrong for a shrimp.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This guy doesn't have the shape of a shrimp. It looks more like those mini orange crayfish, but an albino strain perhaps. The body shape and claws are all wrong for a shrimp.
[...] I see a little orange shrimp...(thinking to self - oh, just a RCS or something...but wait, he's got little claws, and he's too big to be an RCS....:confused1:). At this point I'm freaking out because I've realized it's a CPO [...]
So my trip to the LFS which was supposed to be for browsing / plants, ends up with me bagging four CPOs for like $30!
OP knows its a CPO. :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
but wait, he's got little claws, and he's too big to be an RCS....). At this point I'm freaking out because I've realized it's a CPO,
what a cute little bugger! very pretty with the "racing stripes" haha. good luck with the breeding!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts