The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to learn more about Nitrates and how to manage them.

I recall reading that a dirty filter, rather a filter that's overdue for servicing, can be a "Nitrate" factory. . . .

. . . . that's referring to an aquarium filter.

Could an under-counter kitchen sink faucet filter whose cartridge is over due also elevate Nitrates over the source levels?

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
all plant and animal tissue has nitrogen in it. When a plant or animal dies it can release nitrogen compounds into the water including nitrate. Filters tend to remove particles of food,dead plant material, and fish waste from the water. Bacteria in the filter will consume this material and can release nitrates. nitrates. How much depends on a lot of different things and cannot be predicted.

As for tap water the treatment process generally removes most contaminants and chlorine tends to kill any bacteria. So Typically a tap water doesn't have nitrates. However well water can have nitrates. Typically from farm farm fertilizer contamination. The water utility treatment process may not remove nitrates and not all filters can remove nitrates. So a old filter may not be able to remove nitrates that are in your tap water. But if your tap water doesn't have nitrates in it, it won't ceate nitrates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I've since learned that I live in distribution area 15. I can't complain about the water! It's great for brewing English Ales and topping off my aquariums.... mostly. Some of the water parameters that we Aquarists value fluctuate a bit, but nothing that can't be countered with careful monitoring.
I'm just glad that my under kitchen counter filter isn't likely contributing to Nitrate. I think I have to do more frequent water changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts