The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Melissa and I'm new here and to planted tanks. (Please bare with me :rolleyes: :tongue: )

Anyway, my Ramshorn Snails shells are turning white, they used to be brown, and I don't know how to fix this. I'm assuming I have soft water. How can I fix this before they all die?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Snail shells are made from Calcium carbonate, and when your water is acidic (pH below 7) then the shells will slowly get eaten away. You can buffer your water and raise your pH fairly easily though.

www.rexgrigg.com has some good suggestions, but I've used cuttlefish bones, coral, seashells, and baking soda. Everything in moderation - take it a little at a time.

Also, www.applesnail.net is a great resource for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Also, and this is just a suggestion: I've gone and purchased a bag of CaCO...3? calcium carbonate anyway from the pet store (found in the marine section) and I added about 2 cups per 40 gallons to my tanks specifically to stop this very problem. Since then, I've noticed the new growth on my ramshorns has been brown and smooth, rather than rough and white. There's nothing you can do about the old growth (other than paint it with a waterproof nail polish, as suggested by someone in the apple snail community) as they can't repair anything that's not inside of their shells... But yeah, it'll also raise your PH a couple degrees, and I've not noticed any adverse effects on any of my fish or plants yet... slight die off of hair algea, but that's about it.

The CaCO3 can be spendy, but you don't really need all that much, so it will last you a long long time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my tank, all of my pond snail shells turn white after they are about 5 monthts of age. I have one snail that is about 1.5 years old, and he is totaly white, and the size of a quarter now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.