The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start a RCS tank in the very near future...and even found a LFS that carries both RCS and CRS (tho I dont want the latter, jus don like the stripes). I was wondering tho...since they are "pricier" (about $4/ea) if I could start my shrimp tank...plant it and cycle it...put in ghost shrimp (about $.15/ea) and they survive long term with no problems (aka use them for my learning curve)...if I could eventually feed them to something after I get some confidence or get bored with them....and replace them with RCS. If the water is "safe" enough for the ghost shrimp would it automatically be "safe" for the RCS?:confused1:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Pretty much. Although ghosts are a bit hardier than RCS, but for the most part if the ghosts are doing fine, so will the RCS. Toss in some plants to speed up the cycle. You might wanna take a look into buying RCS on forums for cheaper prices.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I considered that...but since Im not really a patient person (see sig) I figure I would pay the extra for the convenience to take them home "today" ya kno....not to mention..I live in Raleigh, NC...on the east coast of the US...and were about to go into our BS wintery weather season...not as bad as up north..but I still hate the cold...so I doubt anything would survive the shipment here and the wait in my mailbox due to my school/work schedule...and if I understand correctly...arent RCS prolific breeders? not as bad as ramshorn snails but get get gettin it jus the same?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ghost might be hardier...if they manage to survive the first few weeks. Most the ones you bring home will have been very weekend by the conditions they are kept in. They aren't sold to be healthy. The are sold to live long enough for something to eat them. Having store bought ghosts die on you is in no way an indicator of poor water quality.

I now have home bred ghosts and notice a big difference in appearance than their (now long deceased) store bought parents. They have a lot more color. They aren't just completely pale and transparent like the store bought ones. They have a bit of orange on their front legs, and lots of dark speckles. The juvies (from the time they were old enough for me to remove from the tank and count), have had a far better survival rate than the 10 adults I bought from the store. At most I've lost 5 out of 45 the past few months, and that's in a tanks with a regular filters (not a sponge filter) and mollies.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I found the cherry shrimp to be much hardier and easier to breed than the ghost shrimp which I have never had long term success with. I wouldn't mess with the ghost shrimp if the cherry and crystal reds are where you want to end up.

I now have about 20 decent sized cherry shrimp from my starting population of 6 that I got in September.
I bought dozens of ghost shrimp in the spring and have none today.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I would also say to just buy cherry shrimp. Ghost shrimp are actually harder to keep in my opinion due to the poor condition they arrive in and their breeding cycle, yet if you just want them to survive this doesn't matter.

With that said they actually are a really cool shrimp that is under appreciated and a nice challenge to breed. The baby ghost shrimp are really awesome.

Oh, and RCS are probably hardier, but I would recommend getting them from one of the hobbyists on here or somewhere else vs. your LFS.

-Andrew

·
Registered
791 Posts
Unlike most, I've had a much easier time breeding ghosts, although it does take a bit of extra work since the larva generally need to be separated and placed in a tank with a sponge filter. Survival rates are extremely low otherwise.

Unlike RCS, you won't be able to get Ghost populations to grow to 100 in a 10g tank. Once you have about 10 adult ghosts in there, I doubt a baby ghost will ever survive.

I have pretty hard well water with a pH of 8.2. I'm not sure if that is a factor in my success with ghosts and failure with RCS. I'm trying RCS again, this time from a different source.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would also say to just buy cherry shrimp. Ghost shrimp are actually harder to keep in my opinion due to the poor condition they arrive in and their breeding cycle, yet if you just want them to survive this doesn't matter.

With that said they actually are a really cool shrimp that is under appreciated and a nice challenge to breed. The baby ghost shrimp are really awesome.

Oh, and RCS are probably hardier, but I would recommend getting them from one of the hobbyists on here or somewhere else vs. your LFS.

-Andrew
well...when I saw the shrimp there, they appeared to be pretty healthy...the manager/owner told me that the secret is to feed them boiled carrots...the carotene sp? in them brings out the color...

anyway...he seemed pretty knowledgeable and his tanks are usually pretty clean (except his reef tanks which look disgusting to me...but supposedly thats the actually macroalgae? hes intentionally growing) and hes been in the area for 30+ years...so he seems reputable

so I guess Ill jus go with you alls suggestion and jus get the RCS and hope for the best...

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Cherries are very hardy... and breed like flies... and if kept in a fish-free tank they'll will be out and about and very busy all the time.

I have 3 tanks now. I spend most of my time in front of the shrimp tank watching all the interaction. Very cool!

Mine eat several types of foods... from pellets made specifically for shrimp, to crab pellets and, what seems to be they're favorite, sinking wafers..

·
Registered
791 Posts
well...when I saw the shrimp there, they appeared to be pretty healthy...the manager/owner told me that the secret is to feed them boiled carrots...the carotene sp? in them brings out the color...
I just gave my RCS carrots for the first time a couple of days ago and they went nuts over them. They also like the spinach a lot. I think all veggies need to be cooked, at least a little, to break down the tissues so the shrimp can eat them.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Unlike RCS, you won't be able to get Ghost populations to grow to 100 in a 10g tank. Once you have about 10 adult ghosts in there, I doubt a baby ghost will ever survive.
Well, looks like I'll have to eat my words here. I have 10g with about 20 young adult ghosts and 3 mollies, and I just found about a dozen baby ghosts. The catch is they were all in my ecco 2332 canister filter.

I'm not surprised they could live in the filter, but I am surprised that either they survived in the filter as nymphs (which need to float in the water column to feed), or somehow the nymphs managed to survive in the tank long enough to mature into baby ghosts, and did this without getting eaten by the mollies or getting sucked into the filter.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Why don't you just buy from epicfish or someone else on the forum? It's a lot less than $4 per shrimp even with shipping.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I try to give mine away...just not right now cause it's too friggin cold! I even throw in lots of Java moss for ya.

There's just so much you can feed them. Cucumber slices, frozen peas, minus the husk, zuchinni, etc. They love just about any veggie.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I try to give mine away...just not right now cause it's too friggin cold! I even throw in lots of Java moss for ya.

There's just so much you can feed them. Cucumber slices, frozen peas, minus the husk, zuchinni, etc. They love just about any veggie.
Let me know if you've got any to get rid of, I will pick up to avoid shipping.

Thanks,
Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts