The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I figured I'd get your opinions on this.

I recently sold a canister filter to someone. Before the transaction, I sent them a commercial picture (off of a website) that showed exactly what they'd get: canister tubing, inflow and outflow tubing, motor, canister. They wanted it shipped via Priority and paid $15 for the shipping.

They got the filter and one of the parts broke during shipping. I offered to order a new part from a website and get it shipped to the buyer and they agreed. I thought it'd be the end of that.

A short while later, I get a message from the buyer saying that I didn't send them this or that, etc... But the picture I sent to them previously never showed those items. And now they want to send the filter back to me.

I never mis-represented the item I was selling and am only accepting the return because I want the buyer to be happy. I sent them a clear picture depicting what was to be included and I also offered to get them a replacement part for the filter because it broke in transit. Basically, I tried my best to make the transaction work.

So my question is, when I refund the amount for the filter, should I be obligated to refund the $15 shipping from me to the buyer?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Even if you bent over backwards for this person (which I don't think you should) and refunded the product cost, I would definitely not refund any of the shipping costs. Eating shipping is just an expected cost of doing business for a buyer. I know, I've lost a mint on shipping by returning mail order items.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That's a sticky situation, Nick. Are you going to be anywhere in the same cyberspace as this person in the future? i.e. On a public forum in which you'll both be posters? If so, I'd go ahead and refund the purchase price, but as the others have said, not the shipping cost, and I'd let him ship it back out of his own pocket. Good luck with this. Hopefully you can re-sell the filter and recoup your losses.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If what you say is all true... tell the guy/girl to take a hike.

If the buyer made a mistake and ordered something they didn't need, or thought there were other parts included, it's on them now to resell the product to recoup their investment. You did what you could, represented the item correctly, and have been accommodating thus far... no more you can or should do.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Epic,
You are not a LFS, store or company, and are not obligated to do a lot of things that you are already doing for this buyer. In my opinion,you are going out of your way to accomodate this person, and I commend that, but by all means, please do not pay for this persons Shipping fees!! That is just ridiculous!!
What ever happened to "caveat emptor"????

The buyer had ample chances to ask you to send pics or to give a full, more detailed description of what you are selling..... I usually ask a ton of detailed questions before buying something on Ebay... I want to be THAT sure of what I am buying.

I think the buyer had those chances, but instead, probably saw a good deal and didn't want others to jump on it and instead closed the deal without making sure of what he/she was buying. That, to me, is not your responsibility.

:angryfire

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Your obligation ended at delivery of the tank. Assuming it wasnt insured, replacing the part was a good move on your part. You get one swing at the ball and if they return it, its on their dime. Refund only the pruchase price, if you even do that. I wouldnt accept it if it were me.

On a postivie note, you show yourself to be a good seller.

chaz

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
me wants to directly connect (9:50:16 PM).
buyer is now directly connected (9:50:20 PM).
me (9:50:29 PM):

me (9:50:32 PM): That's a pic from online
me (9:50:38 PM): But that's what's in it
me (9:50:41 PM): Plus the media inside
me (9:50:46 PM): And media baskets
buyer (9:50:53 PM): new media
me (9:51:35 PM): I ran the media for less than a day
me (9:51:40 PM): Then I upgraded to a bigger tank
buyer (9:51:44 PM): lol
buyer (9:51:50 PM): and its a 2213
buyer direct connection is closed (9:51:52 PM).
me (9:51:53 PM): Yes sir
me (9:51:58 PM): Eheim Classic 2213
. (edited for brevity)
buyer (10:01:07 PM): so as long as it doesnt leak. The crack isnt growing, and the tubing and media comes with it you will have the money on friday

That was the part where I pasted the picture to the buyer. It was made clear that what was included did not include anything else not in the picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.