The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say how excited I am to be back in the hobby after about 20 years of being out of it. I have learned many things that I either had forgotten or never knew to start with. My fairly new planted 55 gal tank is doing VERY well so far. I seem to remember from years ago never having very much luck with live plants my way of doing things at that time was buy plants watch them die buy more plants watch them die. I never had any luck with getting them to grow. But I seem to have hit the jack pot this time this is what I have so far.
1.Moneywort (growing slow but growing none the less)
2.Sword (I'll be honest I don't know what kind of Sword - this one is growing slow also)
3.Ludwigia (no noticeable grow yet but hopeful
4.Water Wisteria (This is the one I am most proud off it is growing like crazy!!! :) )

What I am using
Substrate Seachem's Flourite (didn't use a plant specific 20 years ago was trying to grow plants in regular gravel)
Seachem Flourish dose 3x a week
No CO2 injection but I am using Seachim's Flourish Excel dose 5ml 1x per day (I have read some people say that excel does not work but I don't know I am going to keep using it)
I have my main light on 10 hours a day, I have a moon / LED light on for about 4 hours in the evening into the night. When the main light is off I have an air pump with an adjustment valve on the line turned way down adding just a few bubbles.

I don't have pictures up yet but I will work on that and get them up loaded..

All and all I have been having fun I am more excited about how well the plants are doing. Rather then the fish I have in there.....

Note to admins.
If this need to be moved to a different spot just move it i wasn't sure where to put my story

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome back! I recently also came back after being away from the planted tank hobby for about 12 years. A lot has changed, but many things are still the same!

-Clayton
Yeah some things have changed but it's all basically the same. As an example I NEVER remember hearing about a "fishless cycling" 20 years ago but it sounds like that is the norm now and that is what I did with my tank......... I am just so pleased with how my plants are doing I can't say it enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.