The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,i was wondering,when you use co2,do you just leave it there and let it give out co2 for 24hours? or do you have a certain timing for co2?

·
Registered
336 Posts
It is my understanding the DIY CO2 has to run 24/7 or you could wind up with a mess.

I use pressurized CO2 and turn my off 1 hour before the lights go off. and back on 1 hr before the lights come back on.

·
Registered
703 Posts
With diy co2, you can leave it on 24/7. If you want to turn it off at night, and if your running your co2 through a power head or inline filter for diffusion, you can simply turn it off via timer or unplug it. If you are not using a inline filter or power head and you want to turn it off at night, just unscrew the top of the yeast generator.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh...cool...so how many hours should i have co2 in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
You can leave it on 24/7, as people have already mentioned. Alternatively, you can simply keep CO2 on from 30 minutes before the lights turn on to 30 minutes before the lights turn off (i.e. for the time you do not want CO2, you can have an air pump running to prevent CO2 levels from accumulating).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an airpump and airstone tucked into a corner that comes on when the lights go out and shuts off when they are on. Insurance that the CO2 won't build up at night. I used to see a few fish up at the surface at night, now none.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.