• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Do you smoke outside? Our apartment is small and I choose to smoke outside for my son. I was just wondering if anyone else is braving the cold with me.
Here is a better idea, quit smoking for your son. Wait until he asks you to quit smoking for his Christmas present (my daughter did). Or wait until someone reminds you to quit smoking so you do not miss his graduation or wedding (my wife did). You really need to quit!........DC

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Hey BGG,
Ok, I used to smoke (~18 years > 2 packs a day). And when I did, I always smoked outside, or in the heavy rain, next to a window fan on exhaust to get the smoke out, and not stink up my apartment.

BTW, that screen was absolutley disgusting.

I am officially quit for almost a year (2 years of part time smoking after my son was born).
Quitting is difficult, but the best thing you can do for you, and your son. Be there for him.

Walter

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I think the fact of the matter is that its a lot harder to stop than it is to say it. For some its harder than others. I applaud you BGG for smoking out of the presence of your little one.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks chaz. I managed to cut down (to about 1-2 cigs a day) when I was pregnant with him (the nausea helped) but right after he was born I went back up. Smoking outside helps me cut down a whole lot. I've gone from smoking a pack a day to having the same pack of cigs for up to four days. I know I should quit, I'm not debating that. Everyone in my life would probably be better off if I did. But it's not easy. I've been smoking for 8 yrs. It wouldn't be as difficult if everyone around me were non-smokers.
My mom quit smoking for over 4 years and started back up. I only know one person that has successfully quit smoking. My Hubby tried to quit and I nearly left him. I'm not sure if it was the withdrawal or it he was just using that as a excuse to be a total d!ck. He quit smoking for two weeks and we fought constantly.
I figure if I can't quit the least I can do is take it outside.
Thank you everyone for your concerns,
lil

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL ! I'm not sure I would call it "fighting" it's more like....
He snaps and yells at me and I bite my tongue. I'd rather keep my thoughts to myself to prevent actual fighting. (I listened to my parents fight enough growing up to know I didn't want that for my son) I'm sure if I opened my mouth to express my feelings more often we probably wouldn't be together. LOL

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I smoke where I please as long as the government hasn't banned me from doing it there. Second hand smoke is made out to be more dangerous than it is in the form of "studies" conducted by groups with an agenda. I think fast food posses more of a health risk to our children than second hand smoke.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yoink - Tell it to my lungs.

Having grown up having no choice but to breath second-hand smoke - I will never allow myself to be subjected to it again.

Kill yourself - don't try to kill me.

s

[edit: BlueGuppyGirl - sorry for the hijack, I just feel rather strongly about this. I wouldn't have said anything more but for the "second hand smoke danger is overrated" comment.]

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
My mother smoked when I was a baby...I now have asthma and need to take steroids. Good times.
She didn't smoke during my siblings' childhoods and they have no respiratory problems. Go figure.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I smoked for 20 yrs. but I haven't had a cig in 4.5 yrs.
I guarantee you second hand smoke is bad for you. When I smoked I doubted that because I as so full of smoke that I didn't realize the impact smoking had on anyone around me. Now that I don't smoke I understand. SMOKING STINKS!!! really bad. I can spend a few hours in a smoky bar and come out with tight sore lungs and sometimes a headache. When I do that I don't blame the smokers. I knew what I was in for when I went there. Children don't have the ability to make that choice.
I uphold the right of smokers to smoke wherever it is legal but don;t try to blow smoke up my @$$ that second hand smoke isn't really bad for me. Quite simply that's absolutely wrong.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I smoke where I please as long as the government hasn't banned me from doing it there. Second hand smoke is made out to be more dangerous than it is in the form of "studies" conducted by groups with an agenda. I think fast food posses more of a health risk to our children than second hand smoke.
But in noplace is someone blowing hamburgers in your face.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I'm not saying second hand smoke isn't bad for you, certainly inhailing any kind of smoke isn't good, but is it as bad as everyone makes it out to be? I don't think it is.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Fact: The EPA based their numbers on a meta analysis of just 11 studies. The analysis showed no increase in risk at the 95% confidence level.

Fact: Even after excluding most of the studies, the EPA couldn't come up with 3,000 deaths, but they had already announced the results. So they changed the CI to 90%, which, in effect, doubled their margin of error.

Fact Worth Repeating: Instead of using the 95% confidence interval, the statistical standard that has been used for decades, the EPA doubled their margin of error to achieve their pre-announced results.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts