The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks-

I'm thinking about putting red rilis in my tank when the time comes. Its a 9 gallon Eheim cube with a ZooMed nano canister filter. I'm in the process of setting it up again after about a year or so hiatus. The last time it crashed spectacularly when I was out of town for 2 weeks. I think my family overfed them...

Anyway, about the rilis. Are they a stable type, or am I supposed to be culling them to keep their appearance? I really don't think I can cull my tank- I am too soft-hearted about such things. If that is the case then I'll just change my choice to yellow or orange.

Thanks for the help!
Nuthatch

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I understand that! My other tank has a few fish (and needs to get torn down) and I honestly don't know if my LFS would want culls. They aren't very fish oriented to be honest. But it is worth asking them. :)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Almost all Neos need to be "culled" in some way or another... and there are many people who would be interested in cheap shrimp for their tanks. If you don't mind them not looking like vibrant rili pattern though? Let them be!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

Do even the solid colors need to be culled? I thought that unless you were actively trying to improve your colors that things stayed the same. I've got a lot to learn. :)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Yes. Even good solid ones will need to be culled.

If you already have a cull tank, or rather, a tank filled with culls, or wild type, or you simply don't care, then they don't need to be 'culled'.

If you want to have shrimp that don't need culling, you might want to look into some tiger species instead. Something like tangerine tigers or similar? Not sure....

I'm on my second group of yellow king kongs.... unfortunately, they came from a colony with various patterns, including rili type, so even they need to be culled.... I've got "headless horsemen" (YKK with no color on heads), some with yellow rostrums or eye stalks, rili, "anti-rili" (clear head and tail, but mid-section has color), clear, even one with clear body but colored head and colored pleopods.... odd looking.

If my first colony would have survived, I doubt I would have gotten this much variation within the offspring! That said, some of them would have had white patches on them... which I have seen in other colonies but not in this current one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.