The Planted Tank Forum banner

A Platy Question

1517 12
After being in my tank for a week, a platy named Panda, started to school with my H. Rasboras. After another week, she started trying to mate with them, which pissed most of them off (the school). I didn't want to continue to watch my pretty little girl get beat up, so against better judgement, I found a fish to satisfy her. A White MM Platy, she is a yellow high fin MM.

QUESTION: I don't want a bunch of fish in my tank. Please tell me cory catfish, a female betta, H. Rasboras, N.Tetras, and maybe Mom and Dad, will make snacks out of any babies born....Will platy fry be on the menue? Or will I have to deal with a bunch of little fish I might add I have a self sustaining population of ghost shrimp in my tank? I have no idea how I achieved it; and it was done by accident. My tank is somewhat planted, but it is a full community....
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I got baby ghost shrimp.... Im guessing they aren't very aggressive... I forgot, the zebra danio.... That is a fish that might like platy fry...

·
Registered
426 Posts
There are so many types of ghost shrimp. Several of them CAN be breed in fresh water. I used to have a stable breeding colony of them before I moved.
Interesting. I wanted to breed ghost shrimps before but I was told it couldn't happen. Kitsune do you remember exactly which species of ghost shrimp that can breed successfully in freshwater?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a self-sustaining population of the ghost shrimp, I didn't try to breed them. I wanted shrimp snacks for the fish. --I only worry about my fish, but I have many generations of shrimp in the tank. I've had the population over a year and a half now....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I got baby ghost shrimp.... Im guessing they aren't very aggressive... I forgot, the zebra danio.... That is a fish that might like platy fry...
I'm talking about the fish, baby ghost shrimp, means my fish aren't aggressive enough to eat all the shrimplets, and if these things can and do survive, Im scared baby platys will find a way to survive.... As Jurassic Park said, "Life finds a way."--I wanted no babies of any kind!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The key to breeding PetsMart .36 cent ghost shrimp is algae..diatoms algae to be exact. When I got the stuff under control and cleaned it out, I no longer got baby shrimp and the colony died out.

Shrimp breeders have a choice: keep a nice crystal clear tank and have no baby ghost shrimp, or let the algae and diatoms make carpets on your gravel and have a bunch of ghost shrimp. I don't mind buying ghost shrimp once or twice a year, and I like my water clear, more than tea colored with floaties. I have a lot of wood and tanins....Fish don't mind tea colored water (may actually prefer it that way), but I like a crystal clear tank!

·
Banned
857 Posts
I have a 75 gallon it contains two angelfish and more red platies and I can count. The tank has been set up probably for two years. Platys breed like crazy but my angelfish keep the population stable. Great live food and it gives the angelfish something to hunt for at night

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found fry and know not from whence they came from. Found them a day after I planted some narrow leaf micro sword.... I hope they become fish sticks. because I didn't see a pregnant fish in my tank. I don't want anymore fish either.....

If they live, my friend wants them for her tank. I think the odds are a mere 5% survival rate, but only time will tell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.