The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have some plants in my pond witch i snatched out and put in my aquarium it looks like hornwort or cambodia but i dont think it is becasue it has seed like pods on the leaves. nyone know what this thing is? it grows fast and looks nice in my tank maybe i might put a few more in there if i can find the name cheers

Attachments

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
It is a Utricularia species of some kind, but without a flower it will probably be difficult to narrow it down to a particular species. The bladders along its stem give it away (it is a carnivorous plant and uses the bladders to catch and digest prey).

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps Utricularia vulgaris?
I think this is exactly what this is! just done a google image search and it looks the same as what i have. Might be a nice substiture for my cambodia since that stuf just died in my tank after a week and the last cutting i had was in my pond but i lost it. Thanks for your help! :)

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a Utricularia species of some kind, but without a flower it will probably be difficult to narrow it down to a particular species. The bladders along its stem give it away (it is a carnivorous plant and uses the bladders to catch and digest prey).
Thanks so this may not feed correctly in an acquarium?

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I think this is exactly what this is! just done a google image search and it looks the same as what i have. Might be a nice substiture for my cambodia since that stuf just died in my tank after a week and the last cutting i had was in my pond but i lost it. Thanks for your help! :)
Sorry, i spoke too soon--I think Zapins is correct--plus i'm not sure if U. vulgaris is specifically native to Australia.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, i spoke too soon--I think Zapins is correct--plus i'm not sure if U. vulgaris is specifically native to Australia.
Its okay both of your help showed me a plant that look pretty much exactly the same as the one i have in my pond :) possibly the plants are not in flower at this moment.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Its okay both of your help showed me a plant that look pretty much exactly the same as the one i have in my pond :) possibly the plants are not in flower at this moment.
The problem with some genera (apparently including Utricularia) is that many of the species look extremely similar. In cases like this, the exact species can only be determined with confidence by examining the flower.

For all practical purposes, what you have is a Utricularia sp., also commonly known as a bladderwort.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
They don't need to feed on insects to live in a planted tank. They only eat insects to get nutrients that aren't really present in the environment.

There are many species of aquatic Utricularia (a few hundred if I remember right), a lot of species look the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts