The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
First time I heard about it was on yesterday’s newsbroadcast. One man died after using a neti pot to cleanse his sinuses. He used bottled spring water instead of tap water. I would have thought the salt would kill the critters.

:eek:

·
Registered
472 Posts
IDK I haven't gone into a river or anything since I moved to TX, snapping turtles scare the crap out of me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s okay...not in bottled water. I just checked the news story again. On Saturday they definitely said it was bottled water, not his tap water. Now the municipal water people are saying the amoeba was in his tap water, but they couldn’t find it in any other city water samples.

They said it was in the shower head, too. I look up when taking a shower, but I don’t live in Louisiana. This still creeps me out.

:eek:

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Why would you drink water out of the shower? Sound's like you must get pretty thirsty in the shower all of a sudden to have to drink. Maybe you have some rare infection :biggrin:

Health officials later found the amoeba in the home's water system. The problem was confined to the house; it wasn't found in city water samples, said Dr. Raoult Ratard, Louisiana's state epidemiologist.
I always love people with names like Dr. Ratards.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I live in Louisiana. A few days ago I was changing water in the aquariums, when the girlfriend comes in and blurts out, "there's brain-eating amoebas in the water!!"

Well, there's been a few weird things growing in my aquariums over the years, but brain eating amoebas? :hihi:

Turns out it was just a news story on Yahoo's "Trending Now". But who knew zombie protozoa were so trendy? I must locate one and get tips on cool music and fashion, so that I can be trendy too!

Little hope of that, though. From 1937 to 2007, there were only 121 reported cases. Between 2001 and 2010, an increase to 32 cases due to effects of extreme heat on the amoeba; while I suppose that could be called a trend, it's hardly a pandemic, or anything to change your daily habits for.

This isn't the first time the girlfriend has come up with some questionable statement from Yahoo's "Trending Now", so I check it out to see what she's been reading. It promises the "news you need to know".

Apparently I need to know that "Bert and Ernie Contemplate Marriage". Which despite the headline, the article itself admits is false; as the Sesame Street producers say no chance, regardless of how many people sign online petitions.

All I can say is be careful what you believe from the news. :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well I never snorted the water lol
I drank it because I was dehydrated from sleeping with my mouth open in a hot room but I didn't want to get out of the shower to drink water when I was literally bathing in it.
Look out for the BRAIN AMOEBAS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I quit watching the news a while ago.

As for brain eating amoebas... If that's what kills me, I'd truly be shocked.
this. this shouldn't scare you, it's just being hyped like everything else. statistically, cars and such are far, far more dangerous.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.