The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first high-tech planted tank. I have previously had a 90g mixed-reef and a few regular freshwater tanks with simple easy plants.

For this new project I wanted to have like a biotope of the Itaya river with a twist, most likely gathering inspiration from the surroundings and landscape

Inspiration:

To start this new adventure I ordered an ADA 60p
The filtration is an Eheim 2217 with the biomedia included (I removed the carbon pad and added a bag of Purigen)
The lighting is a led Chinese led fixture that is exactly like the ADA Aquasky (6h of lighting)
And the tank is kept at 26c with a Hydor exterior heater.
The tank is also co2 injected (4bps)

Substrate: ADA powersand Special and ADA aquasoil. I ran out of substrate to cover the mountains so I got a bag of Tropica Soil.

Plants:
Monte Carlo.
Rotala Bonsai.
Staurogyne Repens.
Hydrocotyle Tripartita.
Eleocharis acicularis mini.

Inhabitants:
5 Otos
12 amano Shrimps (6mini and 6large)

Water Quality:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 7
DKH 10

The tank is about 1 month old and I'm extremely happy with the plant growth.

Dosing 2 pumps of EI as per instructions and Sunday's a 50% water change.

The real reason behind starting this thread is that I'm having trouble with algae for some reason that I cannot control and I don't know what to do, I've read so many threads about diatoms and how to get rid of algae, but nothing seems to work, I tried raising my co2 leves as high as possible and nothing, my plants are getting their leaves covered in diatoms and the Otos and Amano's don't really seem to be helping.
If someone could help me find a way to get rid of the algae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well if it's a newly setup tank then the diatoms are normal. I've gotten it in every planted tank I've set up and for me I feel like it just needs to run its course. For example, I have a 3 year old 55g low tech setup with a Finnex 24/7. A little over a month ago I switched from full blast on the light to the 24/7 cycle and within the week diatoms hit. I chalked it up as with the switch of the light it threw the tank out of balance. Now here I am a today and the diatoms are almost non existent. Eventually the ottos will get to it or you and just brush it off if it bothers you that much. Just have patience.

Edit: By the way, the tank looks great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if it's a newly setup tank then the diatoms are normal. I've gotten it in every planted tank I've set up and for me I feel like it just needs to run its coarse. For example, I have a 3 year old 55g low tech setup with a Finnex 24/7. A little over a month ago I switched from full blast on the light to the 24/7 cycle and within the week diatoms hit. I chalked it up as with the switch of the light it threw the tank out of balance. Now here I am a today and the diatoms are almost non existent. Eventually the ottos will get to it or you and just brush it off if it bothers you that much. Just have patience.

Edit: By the way, the tank looks great.

Thank you!
Hopefully I will be able to overcome this algae issue ASAP. I didn't add any fish other than Otos because I feared that a bigger bioload plus feeding would increase the algae.
I guess I will just have to wait

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Well, I tried to cycle the Aquasoil for 3 weeks by itself before adding plants, as I read the ammonia leached by the AS could burn the plants, I added the plants about a month ago. And the tank has been fully cycled for about a week and a half.

This is the tank when I first planted it lol

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Like Nlewis said the diatoms should pass, it's quite normal to get a bit of algae a month into a setup. The amount even looks pretty minimal so good job on your tank maintainance! The tank itself looks great and it's a bit different than the usual scapes you see.
Good call on waiting on the stocking, you were right on the increased bioload could have lead to more algae.
I would put more fish after the diatoms pass, but I would add them in slow groups. What fish you gonna get?
Your KH is quite for using Aquasoil, it's probably being risen by the stones, I would just keep tabs on that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Nlewis said the diatoms should pass, it's quite normal to get a bit of algae a month into a setup. The amount even looks pretty minimal so good job on your tank maintainance! The tank itself looks great and it's a bit different than the usual scapes you see.
Good call on waiting on the stocking, you were right on the increased bioload could have lead to more algae.
I would put more fish after the diatoms pass, but I would add them in slow groups. What fish you gonna get?
Your KH is quite for using Aquasoil, it's probably being risen by the stones, I would just keep tabs on that.

Thanks!

My idea was to have two groups of schooling fish, one medium-bottom level and one for the top level of the tank. So I thought about Rummy noses and Porkchop Rasboras.
The only downside is that I feel everyone has these fish lol and that Rasboras come from far away from the Amazonas. So I'm still trying to find tight schooling fish that will add a nice contrast to this tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those Rasboras are from my area of the world! It's getting harder to have unique fish choices nowadays. Nothing is coming to mind right now for me to suggest unfortunately. Was pondering Green Neons but they are quite small so may not be your jam.

I know haha
I don't mind small fish as long as they school nicely, the only problem is that Green Neons have a greenbluish hue, and I think that my tank has enough green lol so I need something to pop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They still pop, trust me.

I'm gonna keep them in mind and see if I can find them next time I go to my LFS, so I can see what they look like in person.

In the other hand, I know I want to keep either a German blue Ram as the king of the aquarium or an Apisto Agassizi Gold Fire Red. Maybe both.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm gonna keep them in mind and see if I can find them next time I go to my LFS, so I can see what they look like in person.

In the other hand, I know I want to keep either a German blue Ram as the king of the aquarium or an Apisto Agassizi Gold Fire Red. Maybe both.

Keep in mind if you go the GBR route you will need to run at higher temps. They prefer warmer water around 82 degrees. I'm a big apisto guy and I actually have a pair of fire reds. The female is pictured as my avatar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep in mind if you go the GBR route you will need to run at higher temps. They prefer warmer water around 82 degrees. I'm a big apisto guy and I actually have a pair of fire reds. The female is pictured as my avatar.

Yes, I'm keeping my water temperature at 26c.
I had kept Rams successfully before and I really enjoyed their personality. They're probably my favourite freshwater fish next to Oscars.
How do you like your Apistos? How's their personality? Do you keep them with shrimps?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I love there personalities. Currently my 40b I have a pair of apistogramma trifaciata and a pair of apistogramma eurythrura mamore housed with cherry and amano shrimp. I've never seen any of the apistos go after the shrimp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love there personalities. Currently my 40b I have a pair of apistogramma trifaciata and a pair of apistogramma eurythrura mamore housed with cherry and amano shrimp. I've never seen any of the apistos go after the shrimp.

Awesome! Now I'm excited to add more fish to this aquarium.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks!

My idea was to have two groups of schooling fish, one medium-bottom level and one for the top level of the tank. So I thought about Rummy noses and Porkchop Rasboras.
Have you considered ember tetras (H. amandae)? Mine stick together pretty tightly and are quite active. I think their amber color would really nicely compliment your tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you considered ember tetras (H. amandae)? Mine stick together pretty tightly and are quite active. I think their amber color would really nicely compliment your tank.

It actually went through my head and to match them with Neon tetras or green tetras hahaha. Keep the options coming! I have two weeks to think or until the algae runs it's course.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm open to small fish like Green Neon tetras and Ember tetras, but I want to keep two schools, one in the middle level and one in the top level, I just can't figure out which fish can apply to this criteria. Any ideas are more than welcome!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Little update...
Today I removed some dwarf grass that was growing like crazy in places I didn't want it to grow in, the growth in the tank has been crazy... Everything is growing very very fast. I trimmed everything today and did a 50% water change. I'm still battling with brown algae but it has decreased quit a lot to become green algae (specially in the rocks)

I added two snails today to see if it helps the problem. I also found two dried small Amanos on the floor. Other than that Otos and large Amanos seem quiet happy. I have decided not to add any other fish until the algae is gone.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.