The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the whole planted tank scene and I'm in the process of seting up a 55 gallon tank. I was looking into buying a Magnum 250 for the decent reviews I've seen elsewhere. I've been browsing. The forums on here lately and I've seen :icon_evil comments for using it as a main filter. So now I'm not so sure lol. What are some good canister filters within the $100 range? Thanks for any suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I think your $100 price range may be a little low, but shop around. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. As for a specific brand, there are quite a few quality brands out there. Fluval is popular. So is Eheim. There are others. A quality one will last almost forever.

Anything decent will work just fine. Just about everyone has their favorite brand. Often this is the brand they use.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
buy a filter that is a little bigger than you think you will need. if you find a filter rater for a 55, put it down and find the next one up. lots of flow is helpfull in a PT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I found a fluval 305 on amazon $110. How does this compare to other brands around tghe same price range? I just want to get the best for my money without draining my bank account?

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you're wanting a decent enough filter for cheapest price, check into the SunSun/Perfect line. Talk about them here. The HW-302 can still be found, $50 for 264 gal/hr. Ebay seller normal list it as a "3 stage canister filter". Amazon has a Aquatop CF-300 that look exactly like the HW-302 but has a different box.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you're wanting a decent enough filter for cheapest price, check into the SunSun/Prefect line. Talk about them here. The HW-302 can still be found, $50 for 264 gal/hr. Ebay seller normal list it as a "3 stage canister filter". Amazon has a Aquatop CF-300 that look exactly like the HW-302 but has a different box.

+1 On that.

I have 2 of the SunSun's. They do a superb job for me on my filtration needs.

Currently I have them on a 20 G Long and a 30 Gallon. The flow for the 20 needs to be valved down.

I think that if you get two of thos SunSun for that 55 G, youl find that the filtration capcity will be great and the flow you get will be nearly perfect and you won't go too much over you budget.

You'll still need to get some filter media for thos as they only come with thin medium course floss pads.

All in all I think you be pleased with these -- BTW you don't have to change both media in filters at the same time; you can stagger the changes so as not to disturb the bb and start a mini cycle all over again in your tank.

EDIT: Come to think of it my second was a "Perfecto" --- The two filters look and perform exactly alike and the parts (Tubes) even interchanable.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just to muddy the water up even more - the Odyssea CFS 500 canister is an awesome rig too. It's like a mini Fluval FX5. Seriously, for $59 SHIPPED it's a steal. Check out TopDogSellers on e--b a y. There are several threads here and on other forums that discuss this filter. Be aware they now have the CFS 500 V2, which has addressed some of the issues the original had.

Good luck!

Oh, and be aware that 90% of these filters are made in the same factory in China, and all have similarities (including the vaunted Eheims). Don't be fooled into thinking that the expensive units are better than the cheapest - that would be a mistake here.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just to muddy the water up even more - the Odyssea CFS 500 canister is an awesome rig too. It's like a mini Fluval FX5. Seriously, for $59 SHIPPED it's a steal. Check out TopDogSellers on e--b a y. There are several threads here and on other forums that discuss this filter. Be aware they now have the CFS 500 V2, which has addressed some of the issues the original had.

Good luck!

Oh, and be aware that 90% of these filters are made in the same factory in China, and all have similarities (including the vaunted Eheims). Don't be fooled into thinking that the expensive units are better than the cheapest - that would be a mistake here.
Any link to that Odyssea CFS 500 V2 being reviewed here?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks for those I tried the search first ... wasn't getting any where very fast. This was way faster. Thanks tons.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My pleasure - I have to tell you that I've had this filter for about 2 months now and I am extremely pleased with it. Not one iota of buyer's remorse. This thing has met every expectation with enthusiasm. I use it on my 30 gallon pressurized planted tank. I DIY'd a 30" long, 1" dia. CPVC spray bar with a T in the center of it. Spray painted it black with Fusion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts