The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I found an interesting bowl which caused a good idea in my mind, but that is what came out of it.

Now I have 6 red fire shrimp on another tank protected into a net breeder, soon I will move them to this bowl and try to get some reproduction of those guys. A good question is how to identify which is male and which is female, any idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Adult females are a bit larger than the males, they also have slightly different body shapes, with the females having an underside that is slightly convex and the males having a belly that is slightly concave. It's very easy to identify females, just pick the shrimp with saddles and or eggs. The only tricky bit is picking the males out from the unsaddled/berried females. Depending on the redness of your shrimp, you might still be able to identify males by their paler coloration as well, but they are really getting some seriously red males these days.

If you're trying to sex juvenile shrimp it's quite a bit harder. Your best bet is to add 10 of them and trust that you didn't just pick a 1/500 odds single sex set.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adult females are a bit larger than the males, they also have slightly different body shapes, with the females having an underside that is slightly convex and the males having a belly that is slightly concave. It's very easy to identify females, just pick the shrimp with saddles and or eggs. The only tricky bit is picking the males out from the unsaddled/berried females. Depending on the redness of your shrimp, you might still be able to identify males by their paler coloration as well, but they are really getting some seriously red males these days.

If you're trying to sex juvenile shrimp it's quite a bit harder. Your best bet is to add 10 of them and trust that you didn't just pick a 1/500 odds single sex set.

Thanks
I will try to identify them. None is presently with eggs.

See ya

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.