The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Aunt wants me to set up one of these for her.

It is only 7" x 7" x 6" what kind of fish can you keep in something this small? It was only $26 with a power compact flouresent light and filter that works suprisingly nice. We put in 3 Neon Tetras but the currect seems to be too much for them. Can Mollies or Platties take a small enviornment?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I wouldn't even keep a betta in there. I won't keep bettas (or any other fish) in under a 5g. Guess that is just my personal preference. What would be cool is if it was just planted or a small little live rock salt setup. That is what I have seen most people do.

Matt

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ninoboy said:
My main concern is if they decide to commit suicide:icon_idea Any cover?
It did not come with one but I made one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a betta in mine. That little filter is really good. Endler's would work well in there too or perhaps a couple dwarf frogs.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
That filter is great, the tank looks too small. I have a 2.5 with that filter and a few endler's and they love it. Another concern with that tank is keeping it heated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why not try some shrimp and snails?
I'm raising baby platys in my deco art tank,
and it serves that purpose, but once they're grown
I think I'm going to try snails.

There are a lot of things I'm sure you could put in there
that don't move a lot.

White cloud minnows?

·
Registered
14 Posts
How about a pair of sparkling gourami's?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice all. I will take her to look at some of these.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Daemonfly said:
I have a few of these tanks, and theres no way I'd put anything in other than something like a single shrimp.
And you have "several" then with single shrimps in them?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I saw one of these at a LFS with a mini reef in it. It looked unbelievably cool. One little (.5") clownfish, anenomes/corals, & live rock.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tee,

I have one of these. On mine, you can reduce the flow of the filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is an idea... its a saltwater tank... not mine... Ive got one with live rock and no corals yet, still cycling. But heres the image...

·
Registered
161 Posts
God, that above tank, is freaking cool.

What is in that? What kind of substrate? Is that live rock, or is that coral? What is the diff between live rock and coral? Saltwater seems so complicated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ya, that tank is pretty cool looking! It was my inspiration for starting my nano reef tank.

The substrate looks to be crushed coral or sand. The main centerpiece is a piece of live rock with corals attached to it. The difference between live rock and coral is:
live rock-> live rock is formed from dead corals and the remains make up the rock. The reason it is called 'live' is because it contains micro/macro organisms and bacteria collected from the oceans.
Corals-> all the interesting things people attach to the live rock. sometimes called frags.

Saltwater nanos can be REALLY tricky. The main reason is evaporation. As water evaporates, the salinity goes up. A small tank will have huge fluctuations whereas a larger tank, the effects of evap are less noticeable.

whew! if youre curious, check out http://www.nano-reef.com or http://www.reefcentral.com

As far as freshwater goes... heres a pic of someones Deco Art tank with a mangrove or porthos?? Dunno, the description was vague, but heres a shot..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you find those pics?? I have a tank just like that, that is empty right now and I've been looking all over the net to look for ideas. Is there a website that has pics like that??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually, what I do is... if I stumble across something unique or interesting, I'll save the picture to my harddrive usually w/ a note. Both of those pictures came from http://www.nano-reef.com , where people had posted some pictures of their tank in the forums. I have yet to find a site dedicated to the Deco Art vases.. I personally think theyre really cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, those little pico nano tanks are awesome. They are about .75 gal give or take. To aid with evaporation, I've seen people put sawran wrap over them. If you are doing saltwater, you would probably need to upgrade to at least a 50/50 bulb or possibly a dual 9w setup with a 10,000k and an actinic to maintain coralline growth and keep your corals happy. :fish:

I got one for my girlfriend for valentine's day last year. Its still a work in progress but its really interesting. The red sea filter it comes with is perfect. I took out the filter pad/foam and just use it for flow. Its also adjustable. I have the same filter on my 2.5 nano reef tank. I've also seen people cut down the neck height so the light is closer to the water line. My website www.nanotank.com focuses on tiny nano reef tanks like this if anyone is interested. Here's a pic of her tank:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hassler said:
Ya, that tank is pretty cool looking! It was my inspiration for starting my nano reef tank.

The substrate looks to be crushed coral or sand. The main centerpiece is a piece of live rock with corals attached to it. The difference between live rock and coral is:
live rock-> live rock is formed from dead corals and the remains make up the rock. The reason it is called 'live' is because it contains micro/macro organisms and bacteria collected from the oceans.
Corals-> all the interesting things people attach to the live rock. sometimes called frags.

Saltwater nanos can be REALLY tricky. The main reason is evaporation. As water evaporates, the salinity goes up. A small tank will have huge fluctuations whereas a larger tank, the effects of evap are less noticeable.

whew! if youre curious, check out http://www.nano-reef.com or http://www.reefcentral.com

As far as freshwater goes... heres a pic of someones Deco Art tank with a mangrove or porthos?? Dunno, the description was vague, but heres a shot..
Hey thanks for the little breakdown, that is actually better than I've been able to find info on :) So the main diff between salt and freshwater is that I'd have to monitor the salinity on a pretty constant basis due to evaporation?

Do you know what the purpose of the actnic bulbs are? It seems salt water people use the actnic and the 10kK (new shorthand usage? ;-) )bulbs, where we freshwater tend to use the 6500/6700K bulbs. I think I've also read they cycle the tank with live rock? And then just like buy some corals and put them on? Odd! So cool though :) And they make the water salty with instant ocean?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts