The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A young man gave me a loaf of glossostigma elatinoides he grew out of his homemade tank. I was impressed by the density of the loaf, evenmore when he showed me the tank where he grew it out from: a polystyren foam box with a nutritive soil, no CO2, no additional fertiliser, only plants (no pets). And all that are only lit by the tropical sun.
Plants grew and very little algea.

I am using CO2 injection, fertilisers, and i have a lot of algae while my glosso grow miserably.

If one can find an explanation to this..miracle.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
If you have adopted an EI dosing mindset which requires nutrient overdosing, then this will seem like a miracle. The reason you can't grow Glosso and have algae is specifically because of excess concentrations of nutrients.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The box is on half shaded balcony at the first floor of this townhouse, it receives a lot of direct sunlight..likely half the entire daytime. He has nothing to move the water.
As for my water, I am quite certain that my water is less loaded in Nitrate and phosphate than his. I am asking him to measure the parameter of the water in his box.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Many soils have organic content that degrades aerobically and produce co2, one possible explanation of this success.

Michel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many soils have organic content that degrades aerobically and produce co2, one possible explanation of this success.

Michel.
That makes sense, the substrate is made of a commercial biological nutritive sand, a commercial garden compost and gravel. Is the degradation process you mention easily reproduced in a tank ? I regret not having followed his method.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yes it does, but at one point the organic content depletes and no more co2 is produced this way.

Michel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts