The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it had to happen. My smallest Discus is on his way out. He has been getting thinner for a while, even though I watch him eat at every feeding. He was a runt from the word go. He never grew and is now only about half the size of his broodmates. The bigger ones never pushed him around, but he was much more timid and would shy away sometimes after only eating a small amount.
I even pulled him out twice and put him into solitary to fatten him back up. When I reintroduced him to the 58 he would just slowly lose weight again. He ate relatively well Thursday night, but as of last night his coloring was dark and he was just kind of leaning on the plants in a corner. I put the isolation net in the tank and put him in to give him some peace. He didn't even try to eat any of his favorite foods. He looked at it, but just lay there leaning on the netting.

I'm going to assume he has had some sort of intestinal thing that has been present from the start.

I know I've done my best with him and losing livestock on occasion is part of the hobby, but it still bugs me. Smaller fish and inverts not so much. I think it has to do with the fact that you can see the eyes moving with the larger animals. It must be the eye contact that makes me more emotionally attached.

When I got up this morning I was sort of hoping to find he'd gone. It's pretty much a matter of time now. He's laying on his side, barely moving other than to breath very slowly.

I hate this.

Tommy

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
That sucks :( Sorry to hear about it. Would you be able to euthanize? Something to prevent him from a slow death, but also not feel much pain...
Just an idea. I've heard of people doing this to sick or dying fish before, but you have to be willing to follow through. It usually consists of quickly cutting off the head or something that won't be felt (for long).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks :( Sorry to hear about it. Would you be able to euthanize? Something to prevent him from a slow death, but also not feel much pain...
Just an idea. I've heard of people doing this to sick or dying fish before, but you have to be willing to follow through. It usually consists of quickly cutting off the head or something that won't be felt (for long).

I'm too much of a moosh for that. It bothers me a little just to see roadkill.:icon_lol:

Tommy

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm so sorry. I hate that, too.

If I have to euthanize my fish, I use clove oil. I put some tank water in a cup, add quite a few dashes of the clove oil and stir it up, then add the fish. It's used as an anesthesia for surgeries, so I'm sure there's no pain involved, and it's very quick. After death I put them in the freezer, then dispose.

Best of luck. I hope whatever he has doesn't spread to the rest of your tank.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting idea on the clove oil, Boz. He was still hanging in last night, but was gone this morining. I don't think it's anything that would affect the other fish as he's been this way for 2 years.

Tommy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts