The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fluval spec 5.
a few months back I let the hornwort grow out of control. After removing several feet of it. The algae in the photo started to appear on the substrate. I removed it a couple times and it seemed to disappear. Then it started to show up on my driftwood and I let it go because it I liked the way it looked on there. Now its popping up on the substrate again. AND I just removed some from the Nerites shell, it looked like he had a mohawk.

Not sure how i can remedy this since this tank has a small cherry shrimp colony. I don't want to hurt them or the nerite.

I've done 2 50% water changes this week and started with keeping lights off last night.

Plant Underwater Organism Grass Terrestrial plant

Plant Branch Terrestrial plant Water Wood

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
.Hornwort is a fast growing nutrient hog and when you removed it there was excess nutrients and algae waiting to take advantage,replace some hornwort or other fast grower and see what happens..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't remove all of it and have added some recently along with some water spangles. I knew removing the hornwort caused the excess nutrients.
I just need to treat the algae that has bloomed and make it stop without harming my anubias or shrimps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would manually remove what you can first and an increase in CO2 wouldn't hurt either.

If that doesn't help then try this:

Turn off your filtration system then directly spray them (a couple sprays) with some hydrogen peroxide, let sit for at least 10 minutes then start up your filtration again. Wait a few days and they should turn off-colored then white.

My RCS's doesn't seem to mind the H2O2 and haven't had any premature deaths.

You can also try adding in some Flourish Excel (which is sort of equivalent to increasing your CO2). Good luck and just be glad it isn't hair algae that stuff is like old luggage...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm low tech, no CO2
I have bad luck with Excel in that little 5 gallon tank. it kills some shrimps every time. last time I calculated the right amount and used less. Still kills the shrimps. Seachem said it shouldn't be harmful but, every time use the tiniest amount (less than 1 ml) of flourish I end up with 2 or 3 dead shrimp and an upset wife by the next day.
No problems with excel in my 40 gallon tank which has shrimp too.

I bought some h2o2 and spray bottle, I'm going to try to treat the drift wood that has it growing outside of the tank, then rinse it in bucket of water treated prime then put it back in the tank.

·
Registered
106 Posts
oh yeah that's a good idea!

In the future, might wanna try DIY co2 (I was low-tech for a long time but finally tried it and now can never go back). Really simple/cheap and the plants shift into a totally different gear after you add it to your system, and it seems to keep the tank much more stable (I have a fluval spec v). Shrimp didn't mind but if you have fish you have to monitor your O2 levels (my endler's died).

Anyway, good luck, let us know if it worked!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.