The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Its mostly because the top doesn't allow much heat or humidity to escape for my fluval flex. Pretty nice that i dont need a heater as I do for all other open top aquariums.
Yes that's true. Virtually no evaporation! I don't use heaters in my other 2 flex aquariums either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@nickandjess2008
Thanks for the detailed reply ! I have been looking at various fan options on Amazon. It is my understanding that if one wishes to lower the temperature in an aquarium my size, I would need to buy 3-4 of those fans. I was really hoping to find a solution without modifying my hood to the point it was totally cut up and ruin the design, which is the reason I bought this aquarium in the first place. Also I would like to add that in the almost five years that I have been a member of this group, I have never offered any negative feedback. We are all here to learn about our experiences, and share them with those who happen to stumble across our posts. Thanks again for your ideas :)
My 20 gallon only has 1 small fan on it and my 10 has one on it, too. I would think that at the most you would need two, maybe?
Also, I didn't mean you offer negative feedback, sometimes others do. Yes, it isn't the norm, but, has happened to me before. That is why I mentioned that. Good luck to you! Again, beautiful aquarium!
My wife wasn't too happy with the amount of money that I ended up spending on this hobby as a whole, either, so, I feel you on that one...Really not happy with me about that! oops.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
+1 for venting holes and/or a small "muffin" fan. One way or another too much heat is building up under that very closed hood.

You could also try leaving the feeding port open to see if that helps or use it to place the muffin fan over. If you elect to use the fan I would have it pull air out, not push air in.

Plan B might be to lose the hood entirely and buy another light. You will then have an open top tank of course.

Nice scape!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@mourip
I am definitely leaning towards the fan idea. There are no shortages of small muffin fans on Amazon. Removing the existing canopy is not an option, as this tank replaced my former open concept aquarium, and I swore I would not make that mistake again ! Thank you :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been reading a lot about leds and I just can't justify the high temps, especially when the lights do go off at 6:00 pm, the temp is still holding at 80 degrees at 8:00 am ,before lights come on, so that's a concern. I welcome any thoughts on this subject ! Rant over ....
Our Twinstar 600E does get warm when it's on. So it is obviously going to increase the surrounding temperatures. Simple conservation of energy. But your statement above about how your tank stays at 80 degrees even when the lights have been off for 14 hours makes it clear there's something else at play other than your lights. Can you borrow a thermal camera? You can see the heat distribution in different spots in a room.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Our Twinstar 600E does get warm when it's on. So it is obviously going to increase the surrounding temperatures. Simple conservation of energy. But your statement above about how your tank stays at 80 degrees even when the lights have been off for 14 hours makes it clear there's something else at play other than your lights. Can you borrow a thermal camera? You can see the heat distribution in different spots in a room.
Yes it is frustrating ! Fluval refuses to believe the pump would give off ant significant heat, so it's not easy finding an answer. No, I don't have access to a thermal camera. The quest continues....

·
Registered
81 Posts
my shrimp tank has no heater and runs above ambient constantly, left the light off for 3 days and nothing changed so i figure it must be all down to the pump motor

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
my shrimp tank has no heater and runs above ambient constantly, left the light off for 3 days and nothing
changed so i figure it must be all down to the pump motor
Exactly! That's what I've been saying all along, but everyone keeps saying " It's your led lights "
I'm no scientist, however I do know that water doesn't hold heat,so if lights are off for several hours & it's maintaining a toasty temp, then it is NOT the lights !

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Exactly! That's what I've been saying all along, but everyone keeps saying " It's your led lights "
I'm no scientist, however I do know that water doesn't hold heat,so if lights are off for several hours & it's maintaining a toasty temp, then it is NOT the lights !
Splitting hairs....

Water has the highest specific heat capacity of any liquid. Specific heat is defined as the amount of heat one gram of a substance must absorb or lose to change its temperature by one degree Celsius. For water, this amount is one calorie, or 4.184 Joules. As a result, it takes water a long time to heat and a long time to cool. In fact, the specific heat capacity of water is about five times more than that of sand. This explains why the land cools faster than the sea.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mostly likely a combo of light and pump. My 16G has a huge jebo 828 canister filter and turbotwist uvs. The canister definitely adds some heat and but more so the UVS .

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Splitting hairs....
There you go getting all scientific on me ,lol:laugh2:
I believe there is some truth to that theory, but on a larger scale perhaps ?
This is what is actually happening now in my aquarium.
I have not used a heater in this aquarium since setting up over a month ago. Stable room temperature of 74 degrees. No doors or windows open.Concrete building.
When I get up at 8:00am the morning the temperature is regularly at 79 degrees ,so the lights have been off since 6:00 pm.I monitor the temp throughout the day & will see a slight increase of a couple degrees by noon. As the day progresses, the temperature continues to rise, until it reaches a maximum temperature of 83. I have experimented with the lights, leaving them off entirely for a 24 hour period & the results are the same. Yes, I do use 3 different thermometers to ensure I am getting an accurate temp reading. I have maintained all along that the pump is the main culprit, but many opinions differ. The final conclusion I believe, is that I just have to accept this is the way it's going to be. I think for now it is manageable, but will have to resolve it in the summer months when the room temperature heats up ??
Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to weigh in on this topic :smile2:

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I have experimented with the lights, leaving them off entirely for a 24 hour period & the results are the same.
so pump, ambient light or radioactive decay (well plant decay).. Your choices

Reactions: Deedledee

·
Registered
529 Posts
There you go getting all scientific on me ,lol:laugh2:
I believe there is some truth to that theory, but on a larger scale perhaps ?
This is what is actually happening now in my aquarium.
I have not used a heater in this aquarium since setting up over a month ago. Stable room temperature of 74 degrees. No doors or windows open.Concrete building.
When I get up at 8:00am the morning the temperature is regularly at 79 degrees ,so the lights have been off since 6:00 pm.I monitor the temp throughout the day & will see a slight increase of a couple degrees by noon. As the day progresses, the temperature continues to rise, until it reaches a maximum temperature of 83. I have experimented with the lights, leaving them off entirely for a 24 hour period & the results are the same. Yes, I do use 3 different thermometers to ensure I am getting an accurate temp reading. I have maintained all along that the pump is the main culprit, but many opinions differ. The final conclusion I believe, is that I just have to accept this is the way it's going to be. I think for now it is manageable, but will have to resolve it in the summer months when the room temperature heats up ??
Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to weigh in on this topic :smile2:

I have a 33 gallon pond on my deck , with a mag 350 pump. I keeps the pond from freezing even in my cold snowy Canadian Winters:)

Reactions: Deedledee

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have a 33 gallon pond on my deck , with a mag 350 pump. I keeps the pond from freezing even in my cold snowy Canadian Winters:)
Hahaha, I was born & raised in North Van. Cold and snowy is a bit of a stretch !! Being a true West Coaster I suppose anything lower than 10 Celsius is freezing by our standards:laugh2
I would definitely worry about raccoons on the patio, more than a little cold water !

21 - 34 of 34 Posts