The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to raise my own fish food, mainly daphnia and Cyclops in a large enough water container. Does anyone tried it? What kind of container would be the best? I am going to put it outside. Translucent walls of some big bins would be beneficial for water bloom to enhance small crustacean production, but I would not like it to crumble in a year or two.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use glass spaghetti jars from the dollar store to breed/raise daphnia.....I'm guessing they're about 1-2liters?

Some dirt on the bottom capped with fine gravel seems to provide them with enough organics and food to keep them going indefinitely....

To get them breeding for daily harvest, I siphon out the ones I'm going to feed into a shot glass then replace the water in the jar with green water. The next day the population is right back where it was if not larger.

I use several (3) of these jars incase something goes wrong.

Be wary of putting your containers in the sun. I accidentally cooked a culture last year this way.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the answers. I am surprised how little water may be enough to run the culture and even feed fish. I will go for the kiddie pool. I will put it in the shade of the barn to avoid overheating. I have plenty of goat manure mixed with straw to enhance water bloom. I thought the plastic stuff would not last long. We have a small pond about50X50 feet and about 5 feet deep in the middle. It had some crustacean to feed aquarium fish. However, I populated it with goldfish and channel catfish. No more daphnia since then. They consume it all. On the bright side, I can eat my own fish now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts