The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had angelfish in many years, but my girlfriend is fascinated by them, so I thought I'd give it a try again. She also drooled over the discus until I pointed out the price tags :smile:.

I'm old enough such that the only angels available then were the regular wild type, golden angels, bleeding-hearts, and black veil-tails. Even then there was lots of variation in ultimate size and durability of the fish, with the black veil-tails being at the bottom of each attribute.

But now, there is a bewildering array of different colors, scale shapes, and suppliers and I have no idea about which might be considered the "best." I realize that color and scale shapes and such is very subjective, but I am mainly interested in durability and longevity, then decide from there.

Any suggestions or experiences from any of you about the various varieties of these fish and which you might recommend? The intended tank is a 220 that currently is where I currently house my daphnia culture. I want to make the tank well-planted before adding any angels, so I have time as the donor plants will come from my 150 gallon. It will be a high-light system with CO2. I am considering perhaps 6-8 specimens, but want to keep only one type to avoid crossing genetic lines.

Of course, my girlfriend with have the final say, as if there were any doubt :tongue:.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I have DDV's without any of the issues you mentioned.
Actually growing out about 100 peas with the parents right now in a planted tank.
Red Koi, German Platinum Blue, Smokey Pinoy Ghost; d/sm/s/s pb/pb, Pinoy Pearl; sm/pb/pb p/p, WiFi's, Smokey Paraiba, Leopards, Zebra, geez! I can't even list all the types I have here LOL

Most of my fish came from Baskington Angels in Port St. Lucie Florida.
Carol ships all over too.

have you seen this site? things have changed
http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/index.php

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I love my Altums but dang they are a really hard fish to keep alive. Also love wild type scalares if I ever got rid of Altums I would love some niceWild type silvers

Craig

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have DDV's without any of the issues you mentioned.
Actually growing out about 100 peas with the parents right now in a planted tank.
Red Koi, German Platinum Blue, Smokey Pinoy Ghost; d/sm/s/s pb/pb, Pinoy Pearl; sm/pb/pb p/p, WiFi's, Smokey Paraiba, Leopards, Zebra, geez! I can't even list all the types I have here LOL

Most of my fish came from Baskington Angels in Port St. Lucie Florida.
Carol ships all over too.

have you seen this site? things have changed
http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/index.php
"Peas?" What's that?

Are all of your angel varieties in the same tank? Is there no concern about mixing strains?

I will check the site you mention.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love my Altums but dang they are a really hard fish to keep alive. Also love wild type scalares if I ever got rid of Altums I would love some niceWild type silvers

Craig
The only Altums I found recently were from a place in Australia, and they wanted $350 each! I think I'll hold off on them for a bit :drool:.

I haven't seen wild scalares for many years. Are the a sporadic find?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Houston Aquarium Warehouse usually has wild scalares and I know they have Altums in as well. Actually if you check out Aquabid there are several who have Altums right now.

Craig

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
"Peas?" What's that?

Are all of your angel varieties in the same tank? Is there no concern about mixing strains?

I will check the site you mention.

Thanks!
12 of my aquariums are dedicated Angel tanks.
Peas refers to the current size of the fry.
Juveniles are in mixed groups along with two mixed adult tanks but the fish allowed to breed are paired/crossed by placing them in they're own tank. Pairs are rotated through that situation here, and all my tanks are fully planted. Fry surviving here are healthy fish (imo).

13 days old

27 days old These are Peas.

:fish:

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
A month ago bought 8 angels from aquabid.com, quarter size, 2 blacks, 2 marble, 2 koi and 2 blues, shipped to my door for 52$. I am very happy with them.
Like Ebay aquabid.com has many sellers including almost all the members on TAFF II. I'm registered to sell on aquabid with a different username. If a seller there earned your trust listing them via post or PM would be helpful to the OP.

I understood his inquiry as mainly interested in durability and health if it could be based on a particular strain of fish.
I find that hard to respond to other than albino being weaker in all strains I've followed on the breeder sites. I don't try for this trait so IDK first hand.
Imports are touchy to get acclimated but many breeders keep wilds as a base to cross back into they're lines. Domestically raised angels are as a rule more tolerant of a wider range in water parameters including temperature. That last part about temperature is now suspect to me as I've started 'storing' adults as reported possible by Steve Rybicki owner of AngelsPlus. Longevity seems to be governed more by husbandry than genetics. Genetics factor into colors and fin configuration. All healthy fish kept in a balanced environment with proper feeding and kept clear of parasites live a long time and the only factor effecting this in a meaningful way seems to be temperature.
"The age of the fish can also be greatly increased when kept in the low end of the temperature tolerance range."
http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleAquariumTemp.htm

Adorable! Those huge eyes! LOL
haha yeah they grow through very different stages with 'spurts' of growth and the parts not quite matching. Eyes are always large on baby angels. The babies have no defense except the parents and swimming speeds on the lower end of the scale so flight doesn't work well for angels either in a natural setting. In nature out of literally thousands of eggs only a couple survive. Big eyes help in locating food and spotting danger early on. Things are more in proper proportion starting around nickle size. By quarter size all but the fin length is pretty much set and you can tell how a fish will look.

OP, look for ideal body shape in young fish, even a LFS will have a few premium fish from time to time. Any good Mom and Pop's store will always have fish from local breeders. My local Pet Supermarket and Petco employee's refer customers to myself and others for better grade livestock because company policy won't allow direct purchase away from the approved vender list. Pet stores in three counties are happy to take any I don't sell privately both angels and LFABN.

Be it Pearl scale, super veil, WiFi (harder to find) or the newer blues and greens just like the AKC conformation breed ring it's shape. Straight fins, evenly sized smooth ventrals, Proportional anal and dorsal fins. Avoiding a bulldog mouth or misshapen gill plates.

·
Registered
400 Posts
About 12 years ago when I lived in NM I ordered some DDB angels from Steve at Angels Plus. They arrived safely and were stunning and healthy. I haven't kept angels since, but I do plan on buying from him again as soon as I get my new tank running and ready for them.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
12 of my aquariums are dedicated Angel tanks.
Peas refers to the current size of the fry.
Juveniles are in mixed groups along with two mixed adult tanks but the fish allowed to breed are paired/crossed by placing them in they're own tank. Pairs are rotated through that situation here, and all my tanks are fully planted. Fry surviving here are healthy fish (imo).

:fish:
Well, I think your opinion is a good one :icon_smil.

OTOH, you and the rest of the responders here have been of no help at all...the only answer seems to be "get a great many new tanks" (not that I mind):help:. They ALL seem so beautiful!

Seriously, thanks to all who responded. I think that my next step is to get the tank (its a 220) ready for angels, then wait to see which ones my girlfriend would want (she's out of state at school for the next few months).

I will also do research on the current methods of keeping these fish. My only aid back when I had my first angels was some of Axelrod's books. I imagine more is known now.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also recommend www.angelsplus . I bought some quarter size silver angels which were closely related to wild fish. They have excellent fin development & are very well shaped. Also got some double dark black veils. They are great. Looked at many angels in the pet stores & couldn't find any I liked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.