The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a hard time finding a floating pellet or the like for small fish locally. Is there anything someone could recommend? Will have to purchase online I would say. Wanting small with tetras in mind. Thanks

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Premium food I use, which is not a true floating pellet but can float.

Northfin community pellet. Canadian brand. These are .5mm I believe.

If you gently scatter them close to the surface they will stay there as they won't break the surface tension. If you want them to sink just drop them from a higher distance from the water surface.

It's a top notch food ime, and all my fish go bananas for it. Even my bigger fish.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
If you want high quality food, New Life Spectrum or Northfin are the best on the market. I haven't gotten my hands on Northfin yet (already have a stockpile of other food), but from what I hear and see, it pretty much is a replica of NLS ingredients along with the addition of Calcium Montmorillonite clay that Dainichi food's use. Northfin sounds great along with them clearly stating they don't use harmful preservatives such as Ethoxyquin, that NLS won't admit to using or not using.

Here's a good analysis of foods
Northfin Fish Foods Ingredients Analysis

Northfin is a Canada company, but opened up a USA branch not long ago
northfinusa

Similar prices to NLS, but that's the price of quality ingredients.
Only downside I hear about Northfin, is that they aren't tried and true yet, might not know just how good of quality their high quality ingredients are, and I have heard some mention that their fish didn't like it too much because it was hard from the Montmorillonite clay. Only have heard these things, I don't know if they are true.

I still like NLS Finicky Fish formula for the New Zealand Green Lipped/Shelled Mussels they use (sinking 1mm pellet though). Not sure if NLS Thera A has more garlic than Northfin.

I haven't used Northfin or taken a good look at their foods, so I don't know which ones float. But most .5mm pellets will float if placed lightly on the water surface (too light to break through water surface - not sure if the Montmorillonite clay in Northfin makes it heavier or soaks up water faster and sinks quicker, but Philip says they float alright)
I can float .5mm NLS pellets (I use Thera A community fish formula, there is .5mm Ultra Red now too). NLS has 1mm Betta semi-floating pellets and Premium flakes that will float. Most of the other NLS that are labeled Floating, are pretty large, meant for large monster fish.

If you just want any floating food, even low quality, pretty much any .5mm or smaller pellets should float, flakes will float, and I'm sure there are other pellets that say they float (1mm+, but I don't know about/of many low quality foods, besides their ingredients).

·
Registered
625 Posts
The fact that Northfin doesn't use ethoxyquin doesn't make it better than NLS. It is not as good in both ingredients or freshness. Ethoxyquin prevents fat from turning rancid and all meat products with any shelf life use it. I guarantee NLS uses ethoxyquin and not one fish has died from it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"Northfin sounds great along with them clearly stating they don't use harmful preservatives such as Ethoxyquin".

Here's a good analysis of foods
Northfin Fish Foods Ingredients Analysis
Northfin has "NO Ethoxyquin" and "FILLER FREE"."

Straight from the horses mouth. Below is their website:

"NorthFin Premium Fish Foods does not use any preservatives or harmful chemicals to preserve its product line.

"All of NorthFin’s Premium Product Line consist on formulas which are 100% Filler Free".

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've used nls for 4 years and never even notice a slight milking of the water. I've used northfin for 2 years and since swap back to nls because I didn't like the missing ingredients with in northfin. Plus the food (nls) just seems to last longer past the due date without smelling bad. Nls is an established quality fish food company. Northfin have not been in the hobby too long. I figured I'll trust my money on the pros than to the rookies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.