The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! So once again I’m coming to you all for some help! I picked up this plant about a month ago from a LFS and they said they didn’t know what it was. I decided to try to “save it” after it had turned brown in their aquarium. I’ve got several other plants that are thriving but the only growth I’ve seen is at the very top. In your opinion what should I do? Let it grow the way it is and see what happens or cut it down and replant it. I don’t know anything about it but I used root tabs and a small amount of liquid fertilizer to try to revive it and it looks like it may be working. Does anyone know what this thing is and if it’s going to live? The stems are green but the fuzzy parts are brown and I don’t know at all what to do. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
+1 to the post above, only thing to add is you can probably top and replant as soon as they grow side roots.

It's amazing to see how that water sprite survived that much browning and melting.

Oh yeah, you can also grow it floating, this plant is very resilient.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
243 Posts
+1 to the post above, only thing to add is you can probably top and replant as soon as they grow side roots.

It's amazing to see how that water sprite survived that much browning and melting.

I don't think that was water sprite. Looks more like hornwort or something to me.

But I am also surprised that thing hasn't dropped all those brown leaves yet. It likely will soon and will make a nice mess of of your water. I would bet this will happen about when it's time to cut the tops and replant, tossing out the bottoms.

basically,
+1 to the above comments.

nice job saving that plant. it will make a nice littl jungle that will be pretty easy to manage and the jungle it will create will be perfect for fry or shrimp down the road.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Can't provide any advice on not killing plants...

Look in to Ambulia, Myriophyllium, Cabomba, and Ceratophyllum. Those are all 4 plants that are pretty common in the aquarium trade that have that signature "fluffy" look (side note: I. Want. Some.).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yeah they're easy to confuse at this state. They're all very nice plants either way

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let the tops grow a bit more, probably 4 or 5 inches, then cut off the nice healthy top bit and replant the tops. At that point you can remove and discard the yucky bottoms.
Thank you!

Sounds good to me I really appreciate the help!

I don't think that was water sprite. Looks more like hornwort or something to me.

But I am also surprised that thing hasn't dropped all those brown leaves yet. It likely will soon and will make a nice mess of of your water. I would bet this will happen about when it's time to cut the tops and replant, tossing out the bottoms.

basically,
+1 to the above comments.

nice job saving that plant. it will make a nice littl jungle that will be pretty easy to manage and the jungle it will create will be perfect for fry or shrimp down the road.
Thank you! I was hoping it would pull through but since it was free I figured no huge loss if it ended up dying completely, all I can do is try

Can't provide any advice on not killing plants...

Look in to Ambulia, Myriophyllium, Cabomba, and Ceratophyllum. Those are all 4 plants that are pretty common in the aquarium trade that have that signature "fluffy" look (side note: I. Want. Some.).
Awesome thank you! When I was trying to find what it was I searched “fuzzy freshwater aquarium plant” needless to say I didn’t find anything

1 - 7 of 7 Posts