The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am packing up all my aquarium supplies and fish food, it made me realize that I am going to have to throw out my frozen bloodworms because they will not be welcomed in the freezer at my parents' house. :icon_conf

So it made me start really thinking about all the different varieties of food that I do have, and what else I should be getting. Then I started thinking about how all the fish I've ever had in planted aquaria have seemed to LOVE the freeze-dried daphnia that Hikari sells, and it makes me wonder if freeze-dried food are really all that sub-par compared to the frozen ones. Obviously LIVE foods are where it's at, and there is a good possibility that I'll be able to get some cultures going soon, but in the meantime I want to really have a good assortment of tasty and healthy foods for my fishies, and the freeze dried ones are catching my eye.

What do you all think about freeze dried foods, or flake food, pellets, wafers, so on and so forth? I think brand names are good for this thread, because I personally do tend to find brands I like and stick with them.

I just know that I want a variety, and frozen is out of the question now, and freeze-dried is a nice concept, but if it's no better than cheaper flake foods, I might as well save my money.

Thoughts?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think that freeze-dried foods went out of vogue just b/c people fed them too much/exclusively. They can lead to constipation when overused and aren't a full balanced diet in of themselves, but IMO they're still a good food to use in rotation with other foods.

A good flake food is more balanced, if you have to pick just one food.

I personally feed a staple flake (currently been using the mixed flakes from www.AngelsPlus.com, but I switch around brands) at least 3-4x/week and feed a variety of frozen, freeze-dried, pellets, sinking wafers, and other foods on other days. I'm one of those people who feel a variety is usually best, as in the wild most fish are opportunistic omnivores.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, just to clarify, I am talking about having a variety in addition to whatever staple food is the norm.

Thanks for responding Laura. :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Very good and interesting thread! I am also a fond of varieties for my shrimps and small fish. I try to feed them different brands but I am more particular on the protein content of the food mixture. IME , the higher the percentage of protein the tastier it should be for my pets. The good thing these days is a lot are coming up with vitamins and minerals like the omega 3's which are beneficial for them. I like the Omega one veggie rounds and Tetramin. Frozen foods are also great regardless of the brand since the resemble freshness . I am a little dissappointed with Shirakura minima breeder I recently purchased as my shrimps do not like it very much.I think Mosura is better. I don't know if they are just too hard to munch or mine is a bit old nearing expiration. The Hikari freeze Dried Bloodworms seems not to tasty for my guppies as they look bland. But all the rest, I would still go for the high protein content rating specially for bigger fish like goldfish, cichlid , koi's. etc.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have a big jar I mix lots of foods into so I don't have to open several containers. I start with Ocean Nutrition Brine Shrimp Plus flake, and mix in freeze dried blood worms, algae wafers for the cories, and small sized cichlid pellets (Hikari cichlid gold) for the angelfish and Bolivian ram, and TetraColor granules for the small mouth fish like the rainbows. If I find something on clearance that's decent I might throw in other things.

The one thing I have found my fish will never eat is the tubifex worm cubes. I have never owned a fish that liked them.

I also like the Ocean Nutrition frozen foods; fish seem to go crazy over them. I've used their BBS, adult brine shrimp, and the big mix pack that they have for saltwater fish...I would buy the huge pack when I had my fish room going, plus two planted tanks and a saltwater tank...that way there was something in the pack that everyone liked.

I also used to buy frozen 'seafood medley' and beef hearts from the grocery store and run it through the blender with some peas and spinach and freeze it in ice cube trays to create my own frozen foods. I can't do this anymore unfortunately, my husband is too squeamish about having that stuff in our kitchen (and in the freezer!), but the fish always enjoyed it.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I think variety is key. Nothing wrong with freeze dried.

I'm contemplating chopped up worms but the bother and mess is something to think about.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I feed my fish a variety of foods including New Lift Spectrum (a half dozen different types), Hikari freeze-dried daphnia and brine shrimp, frozen daphnia and bloodworms and live blackworms. The frozen cubes I chop up into eighths before I add them to the tanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I picked up a jar of Ocean Nutrition Community Flake after reading the ingredients, salmon and plankton being the 1st two (I'm assuming that ingredients are listed in order of most->least like human food). Also, no copper anything in the list, and it was only 3.59 for 34grams at the LFS. Unfortunately, since my danios are en route, I haven't used it yet.

I too am curious about the freeze dried vs frozen, since I have nano fish it's easier to manage the size and quantity of the food (although watching a pygmy cory try to eat a bloodworm or a live brine shrimp can be amusing)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a particular flake food that seems to put the rest of 'em to shame? I'm seeing a lot of people talk about the Ocean Nutrition brand.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I switched from NLS flake to Ocean Nutrition flake. I mix the Ocean Nutrition Community and Brine shrimp flakes.

In addition I feed:
NLS small community pellets, soft med pellets from Ken's, dry bloodworms, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, spirulina discs, grindal and micro worms, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Is there a particular flake food that seems to put the rest of 'em to shame? I'm seeing a lot of people talk about the Ocean Nutrition brand.

All of the importers that I buy from use Ocean Nutrition for there fish and that's a good enough recommendation for me.
I haven't found a fish yet that won't eat there flake foods.

- Brad

·
Registered
13 Posts
My fish really like the Ocean Nutrition flakes as well, and they do get pretty excited about Hikari freeze dried foods (bloodworms & brine shrip w/ spirulina) Lately I had a free trial offer of some Hikari Micro Wafers & Micro Pellets and they liked those as well. The one thing I have bought that is NOT enjoyed however is the dehydrated seaweed flakes :)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
No surprise here, but i too feed a variety of foods. I have lots of nano-fish, pygmy cories, a few "regular" sized fish, and shrimp to cater to so, like Ariel301, I mix a variety of foods in one container, I can make a list tomorrow when it's not so late (i'd have to look at packaging for exact names) but i basically feed a variety of flakes and pellets of different sizes and sinking wafers :) Oh an i throw in some freeze-dried blood worms occasionally, but they don't go over all that well...might have to dry this freeze-dried daphnia! :)

I also throw in some frozen, but I know you can't use those right now, so I'll put a list of the actual products tomorrow if you want it :) .......... or maybe you could get a mini-fridge for your frozen foods ;)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
maybe you could get a mini-fridge for your frozen foods ;)
Haha, I already plan on doing that! I just can't bring myself to purchase one just yet, until I have all my tanks up and running, and aquascaped and stocked.

Thanks for all the comments, guys, and let's keep this discussion going. I'm taking notes here!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I am going to have to throw out my frozen bloodworms because they will not be welcomed in the freezer at my parents' house. :icon_conf
how do you think my mom felt when she opened her freezer to see 50 individualy packaged and frozen rats in a giant zip lock for my python. lmao she was not to happy.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whoa! I'll bet she wasn't too happy about it. LOL, I guess that makes bloodworms not seem so bad afterall. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts