The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... I'm pretty new to the forum.. (joined a few minutes ago). I've been cycling my 20 gallon for a few days now and just put fish in today (2 boesemani rainbowfish)... I have a piece of malaysian driftwood that's been soaking for 4 days now and i ended up boiling it for about an hour and a half earlier this morning.. I really want to throw some plants in the tank and especially with the driftwood... Any suggestions on what is feasible as i only have gravel in the tank and i don't feel like redoing it with proper substrate. I do plan on getting a co2 system in a month. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Cheers!

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the suggestions... Definitely gonna look into those for the driftwood. Will i be able to get anything to grow in my bare gravel tho?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
welcome, really any substrate will work there are just +/- to each one like size, cec ability, nutrition, weight, color, and dust thats what comes to mind off the top of my head so just depending on what plants you have it can and prob will work just fine. a 20 gal might be small for them as they are very active swimmers just a fyi. did u do a fishless cycle or are u using the fish to do it? if its the later then keep a eye out on water quality so your ammonia levels dont get high and harm them.
the plants teal said are low light low care plants so they would be a good starter plant an then move up as you progress and get the hang of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're going to get a CO2 system in a month, you might as well change the substrate now. It sounds like you want to maximize your plant growth but by sticking with gravel you're limiting your options once the tank has really been established. Planting in gravel can be difficult. It's easy to damage the roots since it's so heavy and coarse.

Anubias are great, you can wire them to the driftwood and move them around as you develop the tank. I've found that copper wire works great for this.

Did you have any seed gravel or filter media from an established tank? Your fish might run into trouble with only a few days on cycling...

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify... I did a fishless cycle and used the nutrafin cycle to introduce bacteria into the tank and used the seachem neutral regulator to set the ph to 7.0. This was Tuesday afternoon when I started. I acclimated the rainbow fish last night. I just tested the water with the API master test kit and these are the current results.

Nitrite - 0 ppm
pH- 7 or 7.2 (couldn't decipher which shade of blue to match the chart)
Ammonia- 0
Kh - 7 dkh / 125.3 ppm

So far things are looking ok imo but things can change in a heart beat so I've got my fingers crossed. I plan on adding my driftwood that's been soaking for a few days... Btw I boiled it for over an hour yesterday. I was thinking of buying some electric blue rams today and hopefully add some angelfish next week. Do y'all recommend waiting on adding more fish, or is it something I can do at this point?

Thanks for ask your input... I do appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts