The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pot of Rotala but it is quite bushy with many stems coming from the root structure, I was just wondering if I can separate the roots. I would like to separate it into a few smaller thinner plants and space them out a little more.

I have DIY CO2 and I read that putting the air stone under your filter intake will help diffuse the CO2 into the water. I have always avoided this however because I was under the impression that the rapid movement of the filter would simply cause the CO2 to gas off.. I have a HOB Aquaclear BTW.

I have also read that you can add gelatin to your CO2 mixture to smooth out the flow of CO2 and make it last a little longer. Can anyone corroborate this? Is it worth doing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, the plant advice was really helpful, thank you. I had no idea that it was beneficial to trim the roots back. I think I will go expiriement with my Rotala. :icon_biggThanks for the link to the Jello recipe too, I am going to try it when I add my second bottle.

As for the CO2, currently I have the CO2 just bubbling to the surface. Seems almost pointless, so I have been thinking about putting the airstone under the intake. But I just wonder if the water tumbling inside the filter will cause the CO2 to gas off. I want to build some sort of reactor, but I don't know what to do for a DIY system in a twenty gallon tank. I saw a reactor that was made from a power head and a large clear plastic pipe on the outflow end, but I can't seem to find instructions for it. I think I will take your advice and do a search for some DIY reactors though.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.:proud:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.