The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just now getting into shrimp, I've been keeping ghost shrimp for two months now. I haven't had my hand at any of the more exotic shrimp yet though. They've been doing good up until recently.

Here lately they've been dying, Im down to 5 left. Maybe Im not feeding them the correct food, I've had to switch to dry food because there's no algae left in the tank. I've been feeding them sinking bottom feeder pellets and algae tabs, sometimes they pick up the regular fish pellets if the neons don't get it in time. Water parameters seem to be fine, PH-7.2, moderate hardness, nitrite-0,nitrate-0,ammonia-0. The only thing is that there's no heater for this tank and it can get pretty cold in the house at night. Pretty hot in the day for that matter too.

I've read through several threads and various websites but, there are still a few questions I have. Does the care between shrimp vary greatly? How long can you expect shrimp to live under good conditions? What kind of food is best for them, if dry or live food is needed.

I noticed most people here don't keep ghost shrimp, is that because they're ugly, basic beginner shrimp or do they just not last as long?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I keep ghost shrimp. I do not find them ugly! I can see through them and all! any ways I do not concider them a basic beginiger shrimp breeding wise. They make tiny floating larva and in a few days they dissapear and reapear and tiny shrimp. A lot more time consuming and harder to keep than baby cherry shrimp in this stage of development.

The "pet store feeder" ghost shrimp, which were the parents only lasted about 4 months. Their few children I have remaining (stripped a few tanks, only kept a few that I could find, long story) are doing great. I have a bout a dozen or so of their kids left. The ones from the pet store probably do not last long because 1)Who knows what age they are 2)stressful transport 3) being in a tank crammed more than a can of sardines. 4) lack of total respect because they are "feeders".

Extreme fluctuations in temerature can stress the little monsters.
I feed my Cherry shrimp and African filter shrimp some Hikari Algae wafers and spurlina flakes smashed up really well. They also have some micro-organisms like copepods living in their tank and some algae on the back glass. Ghost shrimp eat many things. the ones that live with my axolotl eat a mixture between the organisms they find and left over axolotl food which is either blood worms or axolotl pellets.\

Good luck with your shrimp and never underestimate the ghost shrimp. I am sure people in other contries would like to have some :)As for beginer shrimp i suggest Cherry shrimp or other Neocaridina shrimps.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Ghosts can be great shrimp. They are harder than cherries though that is why I believe they are more uncommon. Breeding them is much much harder. They will just die at random on me, tank bred and parents from LFS not too sure why.

Breeding is a PITB because they have a free swimming larval stage. I had the best luck in a 10g just for about 5 adults CRAMMED with stringy moss.

They aren't really algae eaters, they are really scavengers. They would love smashed pest snails over any other food I had tried.

Ghosts are cool since they are so big! But in a shrimp community tank they will eat small shrimplets so I would stay away from them in the community tank.

-Andrew

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the replies. I think my favorite thing about the ghost shrimp is that I can easily see if they've been eating or not. It's pretty cool being able to see the food they eat pass through their body.

Maybe next weekend I'll look into getting some cherries. I really want to setup a 10G soon and turn that into a shrimp only planted tank, already have a light, filter, heater, and substrate to start me out.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Also, are the filter feeding shrimp worth looking into?
Yes and no.

They can get big so 10g isn't really the best tank, and the like lots of flow. Talk to AnnieRiceBowl she has a throng of them probably much better than asking me lol. no personal experience here.

-Andrew

·
Registered
107 Posts
My ghost shrimp pick up the bloodworms at the bottom of the tank and love it, they'll eat it till it's all gone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have filter feeder shrimp. 2 Atya Gabonensis. I am conflicted over keeping them, since i know they were wild caught and have breeding them has not come to a stage where it is commerically viable. I have them with my cherries, I kinda wishthey were in their own house because since i introduced them all the copepods and micro organisms disappeared. Water is so crystal clear. Worried there is not enough food for my tiny new borns now. I love Atya Gabonensis. I am trying to find the right people to talk to where I work to do a Atya Gabonesis display and work on breeding them. I would love to be on a project like that. If you want a filter feeding shrimp, a nice current is good for them for it moves the particles arround. I have one that just sits at my output 24/7 filtering and one that walks all over the tank perches on rocks and filters. Sometimes he will pick up algae wafers for the cherries and gobble them up.

I like to call my ghost shrimp "spiders" and my cherries "little bees" for their behavior and looks in the water. The ghost shrimp have such long leggs. I love watching the ghost shrimp eat, also. They are good at eating the leftover food in the axolotl tank and keep it nice and clean. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts