The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a blast today on the San Marcos River. Picked up a few different kinds of plants, murdered one pleco, picked up some trumpet snails and ramshorn snails and shot a few pictures:

Hope I labeled those right!

and a Green Heron whom I tried to interest in a pleco but he turned his nose up at it.

Tomarrow, I'll try and get some better pictures of the plants and snails and anything else interesting I can find. Gotta love that river. :thumbsup:
Jason

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
it says "forbidden" ooooh scary lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are they an invasive species there?
Oh yeah. They are every where in that area now. San Marcos, Guadalupe, Comal & Blanco rivers are filled with huge plecos. I saw one that was over 2' long back in November. People dump them there when they get too big for their aquarium thinking they are doing the "humane" thing, but truth is they are destroying the natural environment.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Wasa this anywhere special, like aquarena springs? or just somewhere on the river?

I personally havn't seen a pleco, and thought they couldn't handle the cold, but i geuss they can.

I need to take a trip to the pertenales and san marcos river to check out some driftwood and mosses.

That algae growing on the turte=le is actually Really invasive, i had a wild turtle in an aquarioum and it covered the whole tank.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
also, that fanwort is sometimes known as cabomba(sarcasm)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually...

Wasa this anywhere special, like aquarena springs? or just somewhere on the river?

I personally havn't seen a pleco, and thought they couldn't handle the cold, but i geuss they can.

I need to take a trip to the pertenales and san marcos river to check out some driftwood and mosses.

That algae growing on the turte=le is actually Really invasive, i had a wild turtle in an aquarioum and it covered the whole tank.
There were litterally hundreds of Plecos in the San Marcos river. I also saw (what I think were) 3 Koi, goldfish, caught one firemouth cichlid, and a couple of other unidentifiable 1 inch +/- juvi cichlids, some mollies (kept one), ramshorn snails, and trumpet snails. There was another guy there that claims he has been catching oscars on occasion. If so, I guess the San Marcos is turning into Texas's own little florida. I wasn't actually out looking for fish, I was looking for plants. I was almost at the junction of the San Marcos and Blanco river.
Here's a picture of some of the snails:

I also picked up a couple of very cool looking small plants in the blanco river. Any ideas on what these are?

One was submerged and the other was sticking out of the water. The Blanco is almost dry! Sad to see....
Links in case the pictures don't work: Snails and Plants
I want to go back out in the spring to do a cursory survey of what type of exotics have established in the San Marcos River. The water was very warm so I'm guessing pretty much anything could survive. Good old college kids graduating messing up the river, I'm guessing.
Jason

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Actually ramshorns may be native, i have heard that. I put 6 african mbuna cichlids in my grandpas pond(nowhere near any natural water source) And they all died in the winter, i geuss if the pond was deeper they could've made it.

Now, i'm almost postitive the firemouth is a native of texas and mexico, but still it may have been released.
Koi and goldfish aren't new to the invasive lists, there have been wild carp in the states for years, they actually have contests in missouri i think to see who can SHOOT the most carp.

Hopefully these fish aren't doing to much damage. I think the fountain darter is endangered because of a fish someone released.

This is really disgusting! I wish people realized what they are doing by"giving that fish it's freedom"!!!
If they knew that fish comes from south america, and could devastate the natural balnce, they may not do it!

Cuban tree frogs are causing the same problems in florida, they are toxic, and some of the animals eating them are dieing.

Well, anyways, i hope to find some good stuff when i go, i have to remember to bring my camera. I may go next sunday, if at all possible.

Excuse my typing mistakes, i just finished replanting/scaping my 10 gallon, and my hands are slippery from plant slime!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Actually ramshorns may be native, i have heard that. I put 6 african mbuna cichlids in my grandpas pond(nowhere near any natural water source) And they all died in the winter, i geuss if the pond was deeper they could've made it.

Now, i'm almost postitive the firemouth is a native of texas and mexico, but still it may have been released.
Koi and goldfish aren't new to the invasive lists, there have been wild carp in the states for years, they actually have contests in missouri i think to see who can SHOOT the most carp.

Hopefully these fish aren't doing to much damage. I think the fountain darter is endangered because of a fish someone released.

This is really disgusting! I wish people realized what they are doing by"giving that fish it's freedom"!!!
If they knew that fish comes from south america, and could devastate the natural balnce, they may not do it!

Cuban tree frogs are causing the same problems in florida, they are toxic, and some of the animals eating them are dieing.

Well, anyways, i hope to find some good stuff when i go, i have to remember to bring my camera. I may go next sunday, if at all possible.

Excuse my typing mistakes, i just finished replanting/scaping my 10 gallon, and my hands are slippery from plant slime!

Your correct on that firemouths are native to mexico. On another speaking of wild carp :) boy stories i could tell you about fishing with my grandpa and my cousins on the Des Plains River and in Salt Creek. You will find them all over in the Des Plains River and on occasion in Salt Creek. My uncle showed my a picture my cousin had taken of my uncle holding this 1-2ft long carp which was caught in the Des Plains River. So you can say wild carp are pretty invasive.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
yes wild carp are invasive cause they liev in pretty much anything but they are native fish. so we can give them that much. and i have some pictures of impressive carp i caught in the creek by my house over the summer. they were quiet large. 2ft easy

anytime im fishing and catch something that isnt supposed to be here, i kill it. so animal people but thats how local systems get destroyed. i recently discovered a large population of convict cichlids in my local creek. oh joy...and they are breeding with the native green sunfish. even better. if/when i catch any of these they will be tossed onto land and left for the birds and coons at night.

·
Registered
376 Posts
ohhh very nice pix! ive always been wanting to go but dont know where to go. head up 35N then what?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am quite fond of your pics. Nice bird.

If you want to see some huge black carp, walk down Lake Michigan by all the boat harbors near downtown Chicago. I don't know what there is more of here these days Carp or Geese.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well..

ohhh very nice pix! ive always been wanting to go but dont know where to go. head up 35N then what?
If you go into San Marcos head down 80 East and any of the roads that turn South will quickly cross the San Marcos. I got permission from a landowner to go down to the river there. He thought I was a little odd taking "moss" home :icon_conf He actually had an Aquarium himself and never thought of putting river plants in there. So I gave him some hygro..I'm waiting till the spring to go again.
Jason

1 - 20 of 34 Posts