The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I don't really know where this thread should be posted, this seems like the best choice. So today, I received a 155 gallon aquarium with a stand, for free! (those things are heavy...) Me and my moving crew (4 people at the location, 4 people where it is now) got it into my basement well enough. Now, I come with several questions. First of all, would I be able to use it without the rim/trim? I ask because while moving, the bottom trim almost completely came off and only one side remains semi intact, and the top isn't fairing too well either. My next question: if it is not water tight, would I be able to apply fresh caulking on top of the old stuff, or would I have to strip all of that off, then re-apply it? Next, what equipment should I get for it? I'm open to any suggestions, as long as they are legitimate. Now, I must tell you that I won't be setting it up right away, as I want to plan this tank out properly, and make it my display tank if you will. I also need money -lol- (that means I need a job..) Thank you in advance for any and all responses :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Trim is a must..

1.)If you are talking about the black plastic trim at the top and the base Yes you must have those. The are the structural part that helps hold the glass in place. It they are loose or broken you may want to re silicon them(Loose not broken) or replace the entire piece and re-silicon it (if broken).
2.)You cant put it on top you need to replace it.. There are videos on You tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gS7gp-ehM Make sure you use quality clear aquarium silicon.
If your new to this I suggest you do a lot of reading... Also I would be wary of a free tank... That alot of money to give away :icon_eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1)That's exactly what I'm talking about. The top trim seems to be okay, but I definitely have to replace the bottom, as only a half of one side remains, and even that is just barely there.
2) okay, well, the sides look okay, it's just the bottom that looks a little sketchy, as it looks as though a second layer of silicon was placed on top of the first, either that, or it is just stained from dirt, as the nature facility that I got it from was using it to hold a large snake before I got it.

I am not new to the hobby at all, but I am new with replacing silicon and the trim on new tanks, as all of my tanks that I have ever had came in prestine condition when I bought them (whether new or used)
And I am bieng a little wary, as this tank was a custom built tank o.o

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would take the time and replace all the silicon. The video I attached is great. You don't want issues once you get water in it. keep us posted..:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be sure to do so, that is, if my parents even let me keep it! My mom isn't that fond of my hobby, and wasn't too happy that my dad let me bring it home, let alone inside the house! o.o

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.