The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TPT.

I am so awesome at starting things. Completion though, has never been my strongest suit. I am hoping that I can at least see these vases through to maturity. As the title suggests, I have several planted vases to share with you. One mature, two just started, and another one in development. Vases attract me, since they started existence as something meant for a purpose other than to hold fish. Yet, they hold water and plant cuttings ie flowers, so why not? They are also inherently pretty even when empty.

Here is the first one, it is over a month old. A hurricane vase purchased from Michaels for fifteen dollars (and that was the sale price). This is its second iteration, the first being an experiment to see if club moss in an emersed driftwood pocket will do well. Sadly, it didn't.
Plant Water Houseplant Green Botany

Located in bathroom with north facing window.
Total capacity 1.5 gallons but actual water volume is 1 gallon.
It has a coarse sand substrate with a root tab. Tom mini internal filter with the outflow baffled by a piece of tulle. Ikea LED light. Heater pending, it is now at 21C/70F.
Mopani wood with Java moss attached.
Sprigs of Bacopa, Brazilian pennywort, water wisteria
Java fern, one dwarf sag, Amazon frogbit

And yes, it has a betta. Delta tail, looks like he's a marbled lavender.
Please don't judge, I understand he needs more room but this is what I can do for now. Since I bought him yesterday he has been exploring his new home and has started to colour up. Feel free to tell me to move him, it will make you feel better and I may eventually heed your advice.

Other vases to follow in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really like this. I've wanted to do one of these with a 3' vase for years, but I'm afraid of the kids/dogs destroying it. It's nice to see one started well. Best of luck!
Thank you for the compliment. This vase has grown on me quite a bit since last week when the moss started to look more lush and was draping well. The stem plants also just took off soon after I put the root tab in. Before that it was just blah. It did provide entertainment because the bladder snails like to surf the surface and I even caught one diving. Made my jaw drop.

Forgot, there's a baby Nymphoidea 'Taiwan' hiding behind the water wisteria.

Hopefully you do set up that 3-foot vase. It will be very interesting. Challenging to provide lighting too but that's part of the fun! I'm lucky, the kids are grown up enough that they're more likely to help than hinder when it comes to the tanks. No dog, but we keep discussing getting one. Probably after the house renos start to calm down.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was out for a stroll when...

So the car was at the dealer's for warranty work today and I had a couple of hours to kill downtown.
Enter "Chintz". This place is dangerous. I was greeted by shelves and shelves of cylindrical vases, the widest being ten inches. There was a ten wide by 18 tall! I seriously had a hard time resisting. But then I saw these:

Plant World Architecture Vegetation Grass

Seriously! How do you expect me not to buy one? Even worse, I don't have one of these and there's so many great bowls set up by you folks. So I took a 12 inch version home. If it's a perfect sphere it calculates to 3.6 gallons. So likely I can fill it up to three.

Now my only problem is where to put it. Because you see, I have a 12 by 12 inch cylinder coming from Amazon. Aargh! My daughter will probably volunteer her desk for one of these tanks which leaves the other potentially unfilled. That, my friends, would be very sad.

Anyway, she's with Dad until Labour Day, and the cylinder isn't home yet. I will probably give her the choice of whether she wants the bowl or cylinder. She can choose livestock after it's cycled. I am hoping to influence her towards a Betta or Endlers. But, big "but", I get to do the planting.

PS, tried to get "Bravo" the betta to eat some pellets today. He totally snubbed them. Then I remembered that my vermicomposting bin has white worms. Hah! He gulped down two. Just goes to show you how well moving food goes over with these guys.

·
Registered
467 Posts
looks nice! heater pending, hopefully soon! it's chilly for a betta :) I'm not going to tell you to take the betta out haha, I prefer bigger homes but as long as you keep the parameters good and the water warm the betta should be fine :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks nice! heater pending, hopefully soon! it's chilly for a betta :) I'm not going to tell you to take the betta out haha, I prefer bigger homes but as long as you keep the parameters good and the water warm the betta should be fine :)
I just bought a heater! It's an under gravel one, so I have to muck around the tank a bit, I confess, not looking forward to the likely mess. I just thought that it would not eat into his swimming room.
Thanks for the compliment btw.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A bubble nest

Good sign that he's at least comfortable. Temp is now at 24C/ 75F.
Isn't he pretty? Shhh, don't let him hear that girly word.
Plant Water Terrestrial plant Fish Aquatic plant

Reactions: Zaki

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, he's beautiful. I never expected that kind of colour from a Betta.

I did read somewhere (this forum I think) that when shopping for Bettas, to consider the pale ones with unusual colors, as they would likely brighten up after a few days in a good tank.

I wasn't shopping for Bettas by any means, but the local Pet Culture had a ton of new guys, even a mustard type. Sadly, I had to pass on him since even one was a bit of a stretch.

Because he's such a beauty, I'm going to have to seriously read up on and consider breeding him. I figure I have maybe a six month window given he's already probably close to 6 months old.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I wouldn't recommend breeding personally, just because it can be hard to find homes for all the babies and because it isn't just about colours but also finnage. But if you are interested check out the Betta Breeders Canada Club and the International Betta Congress. They both have lots of info.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much for the reading homework- it should give me a good start ref decision making. Very good point on re-homing babies!

·
Registered
467 Posts
it's a big endeavor to take for sure, since once they start maturing you have to have enough places to separate males and aggressive females while keeping them heated and with fresh water! Some breeders have really awesome setups but it requires a lot of plumbing.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Wish I could find someplace other than Michel's around here to get nice vases/bubble bowls (that place it too over priced). How much was your new bowl?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I just bought a heater! It's an under gravel one, so I have to muck around the tank a bit, I confess, not looking forward to the likely mess. I just thought that it would not eat into his swimming room.
Thanks for the compliment btw.
Please post your results with the heater. I have a trio of vases at home I wanted to set up in my office, but with summer AC in this building I thought it wouldn't work well and then was "scared off" by the largely bad reviews on the little heaters this would require.

Fwiw, The vast majority of my tanks are barebottom breeding and rearing tanks. To make them a little "easier on the eye", I use large drinking glasses and vases as planters in some of them. Kind of a planter within a tank. In hunting down cheap but appropriate sizes, I had the best luck in Walmart. I started with clay pots, but the cones shape made them annoyingly prone to tipping over.

Just to add another choice for lighting, I use a few of these for special purposes around the fish room:

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-su...n-mount-gooseneck-led-460nm-actinic-blue.html

I'm sure there are cheaper options, but these come in a few different color options. And while I had my own questions about the suction cup, it really does hold up very well. I sure can't say that about most other suction cups used in the hobby.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have you tried a base heater? It sits outside the tank/vase like a coaster. I've seen them on-line and at the big box fish stores. I'm curious as to how well they work. Would definitely be easier than rescaping....

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AquaAurora - the 12 inch bubble bowl was 35$ Canadian, so close enough to thirty in U.S. funds I would expect.

BushKill - I bought a Bettatherm by Zoomed, cost me 20$ Cdn at LFS. Could be cheaper somewhere else. It's 7.5 watts, rated for 1-3 Gallons. States on package that it will raise temp 5 deg to 10 deg F (2.7-5.4 C). There's a 90 degree angle between cord and the flat round heater which is 3" diameter, so placement was easy. I had no trouble inserting into the gravel, and the suction works well.

Because of the bottom placement, the water should heat more evenly (heat rises). My 1 gallon water went from just under 21C to just ove 24 C in less than 24 hours. After putting a cover on half the tank, it's now 24.5 C.

I looked at those solar flares, available to us through Amazon. Seriously considering the red one as accent lighting. Thanks for letting me know about the suction cup, as it was something I was a bit leery about.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can you link the 12"x12" you got off Amazon please? I was all over the web last night looking for good cylinders for a similar project for shrimp and plants. Was planning on just getting that huge cylinder from IKEA along with a clip on LED this weekend, but if there really is a nice 12x12 out there I would rather have that lol.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you link the 12"x12" you got off Amazon please? I was all over the web last night looking for good cylinders for a similar project for shrimp and plants. Was planning on just getting that huge cylinder from IKEA along with a clip on LED this weekend, but if there really is a nice 12x12 out there I would rather have that lol.
About that...

I've been meaning to post since yesterday but I got distracted. I cancelled my order. I looked at it again after having seen the 10" cylinders at Chintz. Saw to my horror that it is seed glass. I thought it was only seed glass bottom, the pictures aren't too clear, but I looked real closely and it's not just the bottom that's seed glass.
Clear 12" Glass Large Wide Seed Bottom Glass Cylinder Centerpiece Vase: Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

So sorry to disappoint. This is the closest I can find on Amazon.com, but it's a set of four:
Amazon.com - Cylinder Vase Bulk Jumbo Size, Wide Cylinder Vase. H-12" D-10" (4 pcs) -

So, tomorrow I will go back to chintz to get the ten inch diameter one. The inner diam is 9.5" and the usable height for water is about 11.25 inches if filled to the brim. There's one 18" tall version. If I'm lucky it's still there. If not, the shorter one it is.

The ten inch cylinder has almost the same volume capacity as the 12 inch bubble bowl. However, the bubble bowl has that cool magnifying effect that's at least worth a try.

I'm with you, a 12x 12 inch cylinder is my gold standard but I can't find one just yet. Sucks, someone here posted a gorgeous one a couple years back.
This one-
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=585305&highlight=cube

1 - 20 of 111 Posts