The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Mistake No.1: Buying three rainbowfish for a 29 gallon from an unproven dealer, despite knowing I should buy more, for a bigger tank.
Big Mistake No.2: Putting them straight into the display tank because my quarantine tank was temporarily out of commission.

1 week later, all three are dead and I've introduced what seems to be columnaris to my display tank. Both my rams have lesions and are in the quarantine that should have been used earlier.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid...

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Sometimes you just know better and do it anyways. I've done that more times than I can count! But, I bet you'll never make that mistake again. :) Don't beat yourself up over it too much though, these things happen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what happened. I knew better and went ahead and did it anyway. :redface: I checked the dealer's tank carefully for signs of sickness or disease, and none of the fish looked sick when I bought them. Still, the lack of quarantine is an elementary mistake. Oh well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning my oldest ram is dead. The prognosis for the other isn't great, he's not eating anything. One of the hatchets in the main tank and the pleco seem to be a little cloudier looking than usual, I can't be sure. Man , this sucks.

I'm treating with melafix, salt, and water changes. Any suggestions? :help:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
This morning my oldest ram is dead. The prognosis for the other isn't great, he's not eating anything. One of the hatchets in the main tank and the pleco seem to be a little cloudier looking than usual, I can't be sure. Man , this sucks.

I'm treating with melafix, salt, and water changes. Any suggestions? :help:
I've used Mardel Maracyn (erythromycin) with some success. Probably worth adding it to your quarantine tank ...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Most people I know don't even use a quarantine tank. I've never had one. I've never lost a fish to disease, IMO (but sometimes we never really know). I have lost fish to just about everything else. .

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Most people I know don't even use a quarantine tank. I've never had one. I've never lost a fish to disease, IMO (but sometimes we never really know). I have lost fish to just about everything else. .
I lost a lot of fish thanks to a 5 for $5 sale on black neons. You don't have to kill many fish before a $50 Q tank is reasonable. My bigger problem is that the Q tank tends to collect fish if stored wet. It will get better GIO

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I've never not quarantined. It's just too risky. Besides it's easy to keep a 10gal ready to go stored in a closet somewhere. I have a 3 gal Eclipse which is even easier to setup. It stays in its original box with subtrate and filter ready to go. Fill it with water from one of my tanks, plug it in and it's ready to go in <10 minutes.

Eclipse system 3s and 6s are great in case of emergencies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Today the second ram died (he looked fine, and two hours later was dead), along with an oto cat. This stuff is really nasty. :icon_frow Dipan, thanks for the suggestion. Is Maracyn plant friendly? Does anyone else have experience fighting columnaris? My hatchets now look like they're getting lesions. I hope this thing doesn't wipe out my whole tank.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ditto. Never QT'd and probably won't for a long time. I'm really picky about the fish I buy and check all the tanks in the place for disease. If there is noticeable diseases, I don't buy ANYTHING. Hence the reason I never buy from Petco, Pets Supplies Plus, etc. :icon_lol:

A QT tank is always a good thing. Wouldn't call it a necessity, but it pays to have one.

Sorry to hear about the original poster's loss. Lessons are often learned the hard way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today the second ram died (he looked fine, and two hours later was dead), along with an oto cat. This stuff is really nasty. :icon_frow Dipan, thanks for the suggestion. Is Maracyn plant friendly? Does anyone else have experience fighting columnaris? My hatchets now look like they're getting lesions. I hope this thing doesn't wipe out my whole tank.
I have used Maracyn, Maracyn2, and Maroxy in planted tanks. Some of the plants died back a bit, and it killed the bio-filter, but other than making the water so cloudy I couldn't see the fish (10 day treatment) that was it. The fish had made quite a few trips through QT and the disease kept re-occurring, so I got to a point where I just dosed the whole tank and was prepared to write off the plants, fortunately I didn't have to, and I have not had any more issues with disease in that tank. Then again, I haven't added any fish to it without at least a 2 week QT since then, either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts