The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping maybe a physicist or chemist might enlighten me about bubble size. I switched my bubble counter liquid from distilled water to mineral oil recently, and I notice the bubble sizes are slightly smaller. This leads me to believe I should increase my bubble rate to offset the smaller size. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Thanks in advance for any input.

:icon_smil

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
noooooo, a bubble is not just a bubble. I have changed bubble counters and noticed that the bubble count changes, due to bubble size. If you change the opening where the bubble comes out, that affects it, as well as the liquid. Try changing the liquids, and don't touch the needle valve. Notice how the bubble rate probably changes, even though the flow is still the same.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dats what I thought! I upped it a bit last night - will adjust till happiness ensues.. Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
yep the difference in viscosity makes for a noticeable difference in bubble size/rate.

the ONLY reliable and cost effective method of estimating co2 in our tanks is a drop checker. bubble counters are useless for estimating co2 usage but they are great for titrating your individual setup.

in other words, use your bubble counter to figure out how many bubbles gives you a nice green drop checker. adjust accordingly. because the amount of co2 in a "bubble" varies with pressure and temperature, bubble counters really do not give any useful information about how much co2 you're consuming.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yep the difference in viscosity makes for a noticeable difference in bubble size/rate.

The only reliable and cost effective method of estimating co2 in our tanks is a drop checker. Bubble counters are useless for estimating co2 usage but they are great for titrating your individual setup.

In other words, use your bubble counter to figure out how many bubbles gives you a nice green drop checker. Adjust accordingly. Because the amount of co2 in a "bubble" varies with pressure and temperature, bubble counters really do not give any useful information about how much co2 you're consuming.
amen

·
Registered
214 Posts
:icon_eek: bubble bubble bubble...
too many bubbles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts