The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my betta Sterling, whom I love dearly and want the best for.

I'm going away this weekend with my parents to our family cabin. My husband unfortunately cannot make it, and will be staying home with our dog and cat, Sterling and my 20 gallon community tank.

Now, I have an auto feeder that I have set up for my 20 gallon, that I will just add an extra feeding to for while I'm gone. (I have it set for the evening feed, because I'm usually out of the house around 5 pm and lights out is at 7). There are 6 Harlequin's, 6 Diamond Tetra, 1 angelfish and 2 oto's. (I already have a 29 gallon that is getting picked up, so don't worry about the angel, already been addressed)

I also have a small breeder tank that affixes to my large tank, and am not so sure about my husband's memory for feeding the fish. Just because he is starting night shifts and may be so exhausted when he comes home he just doesn't think about it. I don't want to put too much on his plate.

Also, in May I am going away for a weekend, and there may not be anybody there, or just my little sisters, possibly a roommate, I don't know.

SO, after all that preamble, here is my question:

Would I be better off leaving the betta for the weekend in his own tank and hoping he gets fed (no cell service), or adding him in the breeder tank to the community tank where he will be guaranteed to be fed by the auto feeder?

I'm leaning towards leaving him in his own tank, and him getting the odd feeding. It's not like it's a week, and I figure that he would be more stressed out changing tanks so frequently. I just want confirmation I guess. I'm... quite attached to all of my fish (aren't we all) and I just want to make the right decision.

Thank you!

·
Registered
160 Posts
IMO, the betta will be fine if he gets fed even once those weekends. Just make sure he doesn't get overfed honestly, not everyone understands what a "pinch" of fish food is!

Made that mistake before... came home with a tank covered in food...

Bump: I'd just make sure you do a water change and perhaps a deep clean before you go! That's what I do when I'm gone for the weekend!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO, the betta will be fine if he gets fed even once those weekends. Just make sure he doesn't get overfed honestly, not everyone understands what a "pinch" of fish food is!

Made that mistake before... came home with a tank covered in food...

Bump: I'd just make sure you do a water change and perhaps a deep clean before you go! That's what I do when I'm gone for the weekend!
Thank you! And yeah, Wednesdays are Water Wednesdays, so I am scheduled to do a big change anyways. I will be leaving Thursday morning and back on Sunday. I will demonstrate for my husband how much he needs to be fed, but I may ask that he only does it once a day just in case he does overfeed. He has giant hands because he is so tall. His pinch is not actually a pinch, as you said. At least, not my pinch anyways.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
For short periods of time like that I'd say dont feed the fish at all. They'll be fine for a few days (even a week or two) without being fed.

·
Registered
852 Posts
+3 the fish will be fine with no food for 2 days.They go a up to 4 days when being shipped,no problem,plus the time they aren't fed before they're shipped so they don't foul the water.The tank will stay cleaner as well.

that being said,you could drop in a slice of blanched zuchinni for the oto's,and the others will nibble on it as well,and it will be fine for a couple of days too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Especially for non-fish keepers, a pinch means lots of different things haha

What do you normally feed? If the betta gets pellets of some sort, then you could at least instruct for a certain number. Same with the 20g, if you feed to ottos algae wafers, it's easier to say a number than a "pinch"

Are your fish all adults? If you have young fish or fry, I understand your concern with daily feedings.

Either way, I would just ask one person to feed once a day at the most. Otherwise you could end up with trouble.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Especially for non-fish keepers, a pinch means lots of different things haha

What do you normally feed? If the betta gets pellets of some sort, then you could at least instruct for a certain number. Same with the 20g, if you feed to ottos algae wafers, it's easier to say a number than a "pinch"

Are your fish all adults? If you have young fish or fry, I understand your concern with daily feedings.

Either way, I would just ask one person to feed once a day at the most. Otherwise you could end up with trouble.
All of my fish are juvenile, except for the betta and oto's. I'm not concerned with the big tank because of the auto feeder. I'm just wondering about how to explain to my husband how I would rather fast the betta than have him feed him. Haha.

Good idea with the Oto's though. They would just need one algae wafer between the Thursday I leave and the Sunday I come back. I purposefully only bought 2 because I didn't want them to starve, and the shrimp clean up whatever algae wafer they leave over. I will give them a cucumber tomorrow night after the water change too.

I think everything is going to be ok. I just don't want to overwhelm him and make him worry about it too much. Life is always a balance, and this hobby really exemplifies that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you are really worried about the fish mot eating, get one of those pill containers with the days of the week on it. You can portion out the fish food for each day and check to see if he forfot any days too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts