The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm starting up a 40 breeder scape and wanted to share. So far I have a 15lb back of fluorite black under 40 lbs of eco complete. Filter is Rena XP3 and I'm in the process of building an inline Rex Reactor for my CO2. Lighting is a Marineland Double Bright 36-48" fixture, but I think I will have to buy a second for the spread I want. Anyways, here's a picture of what I want as the focus of the scape.

Just a real quick snap I took of it, but it was a former bonsai azalea that died from neglect and now it's soaking in a bucket in preparation for this tank. I'm really excited as this is my first freshwater build. My CO2 setup is a 24oz paintball rig that's not fully finished, but I have time since I'm starting immersed. Any pointers I should know as I get into this hobby?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha! Thanks. Didn't even notice that in the picture. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to put more thought and time into taking the pictures I post up on this thread. I'm in the process of photographing the hard scape I put in today along with the eco complete.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's what I have for now.

This is the scape I have going on on the right half of the tank. The other side is reserved for the azalea. I won't being with the planting until I let the bonsai have a few days soaking in water.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plants are in the tank. I'm scrapping the azalea idea on account of the piece being too big for the tank. I'm going to be looking for some nice stones to complement what I already have in the tank. There is some die off in the HC after two days but I think what I planted should be fine. I am misting Excel with RODI water a couple times a day with seran wrap on the tank to maintain humidity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too bad. That azalea would be great in a smaller tank though, at the center, with mosses tied to it imitating leaves.
Yea I'm going to try and find a place for it when I feel the soaking process is finished, but the odds are looking slim right now.

Misting excel? I don't think you want to do that.
Is there any particular reason why? This is my first planted setup so naturally I'm curious.

that is a neat looking piece of wood, looks like a giant tree in Africa..
Yea that was what I was going to go for. Hopefully I'll be able to incorporate it in a way that the tank doesn't look too cluttered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.