The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If your on a budget, the T5 lighting is most likely your best all around choice. Before you run out and spend any money, why not wait and see how you make out with the existing lighting? You can always spend more money in the future.

Of course, if money is no object, you can always get a couple of those high end LED modules at about $400 each, and go to town on all the special lighting effects, and be the envy of all your aquarium keeping friends (grin)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 40b and I'm running a Marineland Double Bright 36-48" and found it wasn't enough light for the width of the 40b. So I bought a 36" T5NO to go with it. I think u can pick one up for less than $60 now. My Blyxa is doing great with these 2 lights.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your on a budget, the T5 lighting is most likely your best all around choice. Before you run out and spend any money, why not wait and see how you make out with the existing lighting? You can always spend more money in the future.

Of course, if money is no object, you can always get a couple of those high end LED modules at about $400 each, and go to town on all the special lighting effects, and be the envy of all your aquarium keeping friends (grin)
Ya I'm going to wait it out like you say, and I don't think I'll be getting any $400 lights in the near future!:icon_bigg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 40b and I'm running a Marineland Double Bright 36-48" and found it wasn't enough light for the width of the 40b. So I bought a 36" T5NO to go with it. I think u can pick one up for less than $60 now. My Blyxa is doing great with these 2 lights.
Huh, ya the mix of the 2 crossed my mind, but I thought the color of the two different lights wouldn't mix together well in the aquarium for a good look. Could you send a picture of your aquarium?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
T5s create alot more heat than LEDs and use more watts. Plus it gets expensive because you must change them out more frequently compared to LEDs. Save your pennies and go for an affordable light such as the Finnex Ray II DS line. They use Dual High Output leds at 7k which gives around medium to medium high light depending on substrate height and mount height. The price is only $142 for a 36". I am saving now to get (4) for my (4) 40s. They have a great name and alot of people on here use their lights. Lowe is a rep from them and you can PM him and he can help if needed. I was told that most use 1 LED strip to save money but you can always add another if you want more light. Remember the light height over the tank controls the intensity.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
T5s create alot more heat that LEDs and use more watts. Plus you it gets expensive because you must change them out more frequently compared to LEDs. Save your pennies and go for an affordable light such as the Finnex Ray II DS line. They use Dual High Output leds at 7k with gives around medium to medium high light depending on substrate height. The price is only $142 for a 36". I am saving now to get (4) for my (4) 40s. They have a great name and alot of people on here use their lights. Lowe is a rep from them and you can PM him and he can help if needed. I was told that most use 1 LED strip to save money but you can always add another if you want more light. Remember the light height over the tank controls the intensity.
That sounds like a great solution but it's a little spendy for my budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.