The Planted Tank Forum banner

90g planted clean up crew?

1414 9
Any suggestions for a 90 galon tank. I have 5 otos from my 25 galon still working away. Dont have any snails, in my last tank something was eating/killing them as i would find shells when i was cleaning the gravel.

I have 5 rosey barbs
3 full grown swords, and about 18 juvi swords.
2 Red blood pigeon discus.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The ottos are a good choice with your setup, I'd stay away from most plecos since you have so many sword plants. They tend to get a bit rough with them, and chew holes through the leaves. Nerite snails may work for you, if they're available. Finding empty shells of pond snails, MTS, etc. is normal, they populate quickly and I suppose don't live too horribly long. If you had the barbs in that setup, they may have developed a taste for them.

Amano shrimp may work, I don't know if your discus would eat them or not. A pricey dinner if they do!

I'd probably just stick with about 10 ottos, and good maintenance. I've not needed more than that in my tanks.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
I've got 8-12 Otos (IDK how many these days...) and the same # of Amanos in my 90gal. I'd think that adult amanos should be big enough to be safe from discus? Might want to get just a few and try to be sure, though. A BN pleco would be a good choice. My gold nugget plecos have shredded my big sword. :(

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Nerite Snails, SAE and Otocinclus are your best bet. Amano Shrimp maybe, since as others have said it may be eaten by the Discus. Possibly a Pleco, but there may be a chance that it may eat plants.

What type of algae is it? Otos, Plecos, and Nerite Snails eat brown algae. Nerite Snails also eat Green Spot/Dust Algae and the tougher ones on the glass. Amano Shrimp eat Hair algae and possibly clado. SAE's eat the hard to get rid of ones, such as BBA, thread, hair, mainly the ones that stick out and are available for them to get ahold of.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bristle nose plecos do a great job of cleaning up a tank and don't typically mess with your plants. In my experience, females are better "cleaners' than the males. But, either does a fine job. They stay relatively small and certainly won't get too big for your tank if you got a couple. Nerite snails would help too along with some more otos. I'd be cautious of the shrimp, even amanos, with the discus.

·
Registered
52 Posts
not sure how a bn pleco could be too big for a 90 gallon tank? I ditto the nerites. be careful with otos... I had to remove them when I tried them, because I caught THEM latching onto my discus as well... just fyi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.